We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Registration with the goverment and other ?

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Registration with the goverment and other ?

I was just told that once we arrive in St. Petersburg, we will have to register with the government and it could take a full day to do so. Is this true? Will there be help in the airport?

We are visiting a Russian friend and he tells me this is not necessary. Just a bit confused.

Also..is the weather in June nice enough to wear shorts or is this something the women of Russia don't wear?

A friend of mine told me that a power converter from US will not work in Russia. She mentioned it will ruin your stuff and don't waste your money buying one. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you so much in advance for your time answering all my questions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
144 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

Do a search in this forum on visa registration. this subject has been covered extensively including very recently.

If you are staying in Russia for more than 3 days (excluding weekend and holidays) you will need to register your visa. Your friend will have to do with you. if you don't register it you will have issues on your way out.

Most electrical devices now days support both 110v and 220v. Check yours. It's been a while since I saw anything that would require a converter. The electrical plug is different in Russia from the US. Russia uses the same outlet as most of Europe. It doesn't matter where you buy an adapter here or there. they will all work. Those adapters are pretty cheap.

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

Thank you for your reply. I should have researched this subject a bit more before posting.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

If you're staying in a hotel, your hotel will register you (you'll have to leave your passport at the check-in desk overnight - an unnerving experience, but turns out ok). If you're staying with your friend, your friend has to register you by personally appearing (with you) at a local Federal Immigration Service office. It's important to get registered within the first 3 days of your arrival. Yes, an in-person registration can take a whole day :(

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
144 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

Visa can also be registered at any post office, which is much faster than a police station or Immigration Service. Still with having to go there, stay in line, etc, it's not a 15 minutes task.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

Normally the hotel just makes a photocopy of the info page and visa page, plus Migration card and hands the passport back to you instantly. That is the total of your involvement since it is the inviting party that is required to register the visitor.

If staying with a friend, you probably have a visitor visa instead of a tourist visa and the friend is required to register you.

If you have only a tourist visa but staying with the friend, technically it is a violation of immigration law, but still this can be done at the OVIR office or the post office. Early in the morning there are lines of older people at the post office but the rest of the day most of them are empty, not many people use the postal system. The Russian friend can fill out the 2 sided form, it is easy if you read Russian. It was never intended to be filled out by the visitor.

The friend must prove they are registered at that location. That is sometimes a problem in st Petersburg and Moscow since so many people moved to those big cities for good jobs without any official residence so they can't invite anyone to stay with them because they are not supposed to be staying in the city either. The city has 4,700,000 official residents and possibly another 3,000,000 who have no residency, not registered themselves. A registered resident is required to sponsor your registration.

6. Re: Registration with the goverment and other ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 05:16