We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carring Passport around

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Carring Passport around

Will be visiting SP next month. Do i have to carry my passport on me at all times or can i just photocopy the important pages & carry that ?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carring Passport around

Copies of the main page and Russian visa is enough.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carring Passport around

Yes, copies are the way to go. I put a set in my luggage, one set I carry on me. And one set hidden in a jacket ot coat. AIM.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carring Passport around

Technically, your passport is the only valid ID you have outside your own country. As a general rule, a photocopy will get by unless real id is needed, in which case the passport is required. The same question would be "should I carry my real driver's license or just a photocopy when driving in the US?" The police would be less than enthusiastic about being asked to accept your word for who you are.

If checking into a hotel, buying tickets for transportation, seeking medical attention, dealing with the police, have the actual passport with you. I carry mine everyday as do other experienced travelers. To protect it from getting wet or worn, get a protective case for it. I've worn several out by carrying them so often but when needed, nothing else will do.

I am not sure why the reluctance to carry one's sole valid id, do people think they are theft targets or they might loose them? Get a secure pouch to hang it around your neck so you would misplace it. The passport is not a theft target, your credit cards are however so do not keep anything of value in a purse or wallet that a pickpocket would assume would carry the cards they seek.

4. Re: Carring Passport around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:16