We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

April, as my mother and I were overnighting in St. Petersburg we decided we would love to see the Ballet at The Mariinsky Theatre on June 3rd. Having researched wwwBalletAndOpera.com on here, we called them and booked specific seats with a person called Sergei Mikhailov. I understood from their website that our tickets would be delivered to the ship, but Sergei said that this only applied to RIVER cruise ships (not Ocean) and told us that our tickets would be delivered to us by courier at 6.30pm on the night outside the theatre, holding a yellow sign with my name on it. We paid by credit card and the booking was acknowledged in full by email within 30 minutes, together with confirmation of delivery of tickets outside the theatre as Sergei had advised.

We arrived at the theatre at 6.20pm, and arranged to be picked up for return to the ship at 11pm. At 6.30 there was no sign of the courier, nor at 6.40, 6.45. We showed our confirmation email to the theatre staff but they spoke little English and hinted our arrangement might be invalid, saying their system showed the performance was fully booked. Even at this late stage we still hoped he was delayed in traffic and would arrive in time for the start of the show (7 pm), and at 6.58 we still hoped the theatre staff would see our seats (D2 & D3 in a designated box) were empty and realise they were ours. This didn't happen, and the show started with us outside in the foyer having paid $284 plus taxi costs, and seemingly stuck there until 11 pm. We managed to contact Alla Tours (who were providing our Visa cover as we were their clients on tour) and although our driver was on the other side of St P, he got back to the Mariinsky by 8 pm and we were back on the ship by 8.30 pm.

It was massively disappointing to say the least. The next day (the second of our St P tour) we paid Alla for their (excellent) 2 day tour, and had a separate envelope with $75 for the theatre taxi run, as the ticket fiasco was not their fault or indeed anything to do with them. They refused to take this money, so badly did they feel for us, which was a lovely gesture.

We were back in England late on June 10th, and before we could send an email to BalletAndOpera.com, we received one from them stating their representative with the tickets waited for us nearby the theatre until 8.20 p.m.but 'you didn't come' and would we inform them what happened.

We immediately emailed back explaining exactly what we had done, and asking for a refund of the ticket price. After a week, having heard nothing, I again asked for the refund before I contacted our credit card company, and this time I was given a full refund in a few days. When I thanked them in acknowledging receipt of same, I asked if they could tell me how such a mismanagement or mistake could have occurred, since it does not give one any confidence for future bookings on their site. To date, I have heard nothing at all from them, and I am very disappointed that they made no effort to explain what happened, because at all times one of us was outside the front of the theatre (not a large area) looking for someone holding a yellow sign. It was one of the great disappointments of all our holidays, and, although we did get our money back, I do wonder whether, without the back-up of a Russian firm to corroborate our movements on that night, we should have been able to prove our case, and get this reimbursement from them, rather than try to recover it through our crdit card company.

I am certainly not saying don't use BalletAndOpera.com, because, although we lost an experience of a lifetime, we were not out of pocket, but I would advise that you make doubly sure of the arrangements for ticket collections when you book, or, ideally, try and see if you can get the tickets delivered to the ship. That way you will have a little time to clarify the situation before you leave for the evening.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

I am very sorry for your experience.

Giving a little advice I do recommend booking the Mariinsky Theatre tickets on-line on the official web-site and other folk or ballet performances with the guide or a travel company you work with. This gives you much more security and helps avoiding the troubles.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

I am sorry you missed out on the performance.

The tour company should have handled this, they can get the tickets easier than you can and have a place to deliver them to before you arrive. The more reputable tour companies do not mark the ticket prices up either so you would have saved a lot of money by not buying from 3rd parties that increase the price 20-100%

The Mariinsky Theater web site is the most reliable way of booking from a distance. In fact right in the city that is how I book my own tickets for performances there and the Mariinsky Concert Hall. You can also buy tickets from an official Mariinsky ticket office right in Gostiny Dvor shopping center in the very center of the city.

One additional note. You apparently did not have visas so why were you left alone at the theater? Being out without visas is not only a violation of the law, but could have created major problems for you, fines or arrest. The guide is required to supervise you when off the ship. A tour company can face major fines or have its license suspended or revoked for that violation.

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

Thanks for your replies Eugenia and Stanj. We had bought the tickets well in advance of booking the two-day tour so the tour company weren't involved in that part of it, other than provider visa-covered transport. We had paperwork from them specifying pick-up and return times from and to the ship, plus the 'theatre paperwork' showing where we would be between 6.30 and 11 pm, and knowing the situation we never moved from the Mariinsky at any time as we were well aware that we could not just hail any old taxi to take us back to the ship.

4. Re: Booking Tickets for Mariinsky Theatre - a cautionary tale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 06:16