We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermitage on first day or walking tour

Fargo USA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Hermitage on first day or walking tour

We arrive on a friday in September. Should we plan to take a walking tour the first day, or are we better off getting into the Hermitage that day? I planned to do the Hermitage on Saturday, but thought it may have more traffic that day. Our apartment is near the Hermitage, so should be no reason not to find it on the first day of our visit.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hermitage on first day or walking tour

It depends upon the time of your arrival as the Hermitage is open till 6 while its box office is open only till 5 p.m. In September the museum may be more crowded on Saturday - also depending on weather (the worse is the weather - the longer will be lines to check rooms). The traffic on Saturday is much easier than on Friday.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hermitage on first day or walking tour

Why not let the weather help you decide? A great day in St Petersburg is a GREAT day, with stunning weather... but I hear that there are many days when that just doesn't happen.

From my very limited experience, my bet is that the Hermitage will be crowded whatever day of the week you visit, and once inside you're going to be sharing the view of every exhibit with so many people, what's a couple of hundred more or less?

My main reason for chiming in here, however, was just to say that Friday or Saturday are both up for grabs, but, whatever you do, don't leave it till Monday (but I guess you knew that already).

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hermitage on first day or walking tour

Flip a coin and let it decide, both will be crowded in the tourist must-see rooms and almost emptying in the general museum room.

I never quite understand mass think but 80% or so visitors congregate in 2-3 rooms of the 1015 rooms, mostly the Western European art section and the French Impressionists specifically.

I visited yesterday afternoon, found a long line to the ticket office but got in in about 45 minutes. The weather started as cool and overcast but soon it was very pleasant outside in the courtyard speaking with French tourists from Paris.

When my "date" and I got in we headed for the antiquities section which is one of the best in the world. We had most of 3.5 hours alone, I even took photos of the empty halls and beautiful exhibit halls. All together we crossed paths with not more than 30 people in that time. There are lots of other sections like that also...on a Sunday afternoon no less.

So, in your case, what do you want to see, you could not see much of it, 3.8 million on-display items can't be seen in most of a lifetime. If you select destinations that give the most with the least crowding you will find relative solitude in which to explore some truly great collections.

4. Re: Hermitage on first day or walking tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 05:17