We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner + Folk Show Recommendations??

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
29 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner + Folk Show Recommendations??

Hey all - I am looking into restaurants that offer little mini-folk shows with their dinners, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of these are even worth going to (or if we should just shell out for Feel Yourself Russian or something similar, and eat afterwords).

The restaurants I've seen so far advertising this kind of thing are Demidov, Troika, Shinok, Baku, 1913, Tbiliso.....But of course I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. What we are looking for foremost is a decent show, but also we want tasty food! Also I understand that these places might be pricy, but we'd like to not spend more than $30/each.

Spasibo! :)

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Demidov
Demidov
128 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Troika
Troika
429 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tbiliso
Tbiliso
227 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner + Folk Show Recommendations??

Of those restaurants the show at Troika is the most elaborate and entertaining.

I've been to several, the most recent was Shinok because it is Ukrainian and my date was from Ukraine. We were both disappointed with the food vs. cost, the show was pretty casual, some well known Ukrainian folk songs and later a duo playing western standards with keyboard and vocals. Not exactly a show per se. Another one that has a show is Demidov on Fontanka. It is a Gypsy style show, that was entertaining with audience participation. Baku has a non-Russian style performance but is a nice restaurant. Tbiliso is Georgian, again, not Russian in music or songs. I would say, in the winter, Troika to combine eating with show or Feel Yourself Russian plus eating elsewhere are your best Russian folkshow choices. During the summer there are usually 4 different shows in theaters or hotels to choose from.

St Petersburg never really was associated with that folk style music and dance, from the beginning the performance arts were very non-Russian and acquired Russian influences....and all of Europe absorbed the Russian influences on classic music, opera and dance. So an authentic St Petersburg performance would probably be ballet, concert or opera...or Jazz. St Petersburg and jazz went together well and has produced some very good practitioners of the genre. During the late 70s and 80s it was the rock capitol of Eastern Europe with some good original local bands that created the whole definition of Russian rock. Now, Moscow pop is better known and fills the TV and general radio programming. It is flashy and theatrical but is not great music., it is "show" rather than "performance"

On any given night, there is probably more choices of music genre in St Petersburg than anywhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Troika
Troika
429 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Demidov
Demidov
128 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tbiliso
Tbiliso
227 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Feel yourself Russian
Feel yourself Russian
193 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Europe
Europe
World
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
2. Re: Dinner + Folk Show Recommendations??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 06:20