We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

I am so happen to be book on Visions of the Seas that will land for 1 day at St Peterburg(SP) on July 25th 2011- the last monday of July. Heard that major attractions like Hermitage, Catherine Palace and the main Peterhof palace(not the fountains park) are closed on the last monday of each month.

Under such circumstances, anyone can suggest what are the "must see" spots in SP for a shore excursions on such days. Can special arrangement be made with such key attraction sites to open for such days ... heard from some tour operators that they can make such special arrangements.

Fountain The Girl with Jar
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Fountains, Monuments & Statues
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

The Hermitage and Peterhof Grand Palace are closed every Monday, Catherine's palace is closed every Tuesday and on the last Monday of the month. However, tour companies, which have contracts with the museums, can arrange tours in the Hermitage and Peterhof even on Mondays (the tickets are just a little more expensive then). On the other hand, if you only have one day in St. Petersburg, there are plenty of other major museums, which are open on Mondays - St. Isaac's cathedral, Peter-and-Paul fortress, the Church-on-Spilt Blood, Usupov palace, the Russian museum, Pavlovsk palace, etc. Get in touch if you need more info.

2. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 13:35
Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

Thanks stp for info. Don't know some of these favourite spots have contracts to open on off days. Have google and could not come with any names of folks who have these contracts to tour on off days. Peterhof, Catherine and Hermitage are literally the 3 must see in Petersburg and with only 1 day there where all 3 so happen to have their off day is really disappointing. Anyone has any names of such tour operators that offer "contract" tours ?

St. Petersburg...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

Almost all tour operators of Saint-Petersburg have special contracts (special admission in days off). So you can apply to any, I consider.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

There is a big problem in your situation: usually these special openings are in the morning and not for the full day - and you will not be physically able to appear in 3 different places more or less simultaneously, I am afraid that only one will be possible. It may be clear only later, in May, when museum schedules are confirmed for the next month. Even with a contract a company is not able to open a museum any minute. You need to choose your priorities - and probably to check several of small companies serving mainly small and middle - size groups about their offers for your particular arrival.

May be the situation will be a bit different as soon as on July 25 there should be at least 5 ships in the harbour.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

What time do you arrive what day and what time depart on what day?

Refer to post no. 1. Good advice I think.

First time I was in St P was for 9 days. Went back for 5 days the following year to cover off what i had missed.

Why concern youself with one principal attraction when St P has so many more principal attractions.........

Again, Post 1. All referred to are proximitry Nevsky Prospect. The main street. Much else there too. Ambience!. The city of canals.

Personally, I think 1 day is pointless. Not the way to see St P. Really, really underdone.

DCtheKiwi

Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

On question of why 1 day and that day being July 25th.2011 - I do not have any choice, this is a 1 day cruise stop by RB's Vision of the seas. I also check and there are 6 cruise ships dock on that day in St Petersburg but only my ship dock for 1 day ( 7am to 12 midnight) while the rest dock for 2-3 days at St PB. My ship does offer shore excursion which does include Hermitage, Peterholf or Cathering (so I presume these tour operators have contacts with the sites) but in my cruising I always like arrange and join smaller group for shore execursion.

Lots of private tours and most do not offer any of the 3 sites- Hermitage, Peterhof Palance or Catherine palace on that day. I would prefer group tours (lower cost and smaller group and more extensive coverage) and hence my delimma of finding which operator actually offer such local tour that cover at least 1-2 of these sites and who have contracts with them to open on off-days. Any specific names and recommendations?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

The most positively mentioned/popular private tour companies on the Northern Europe and Baltics board of sister website cruisecritic after the 2010 touring season appeared to be Alla Tours, TJ Travel, SPB-Tours and Anastasia (which has undergone a merger and change of personnel).

Have you tried each of them? All four were very responsive when I was looking to book for my upcoming June two-day shore visit. Fortunately we will be there on a Saturday and Sunday.

Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

Well went thru the list of TA's list of tours folks and most of them do only private tours and some have 2 day value group tours. Few could arrange private tour for only 2 pax at any of those off-day sites.

However I did reach one of those in the list of TA's tour companies and contacted Denrus and they appear to have a 1 day value group tour that do cover at least some of those off day sites on July 25th (I guess they have contracts with them and will be making special arrangement for their 1 day group tours). They appear to be a bigger and more reputable company and also have good reviews. They look like a good alternative for someone like me who have in past cruise shore excursions experienced and like smaller groups organized by locals.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day visiting St Petersburg on last monday of month

My fellow cruisecritic poster and electronic friend cruisemom42 used DenRus for her shore excursion in St. Petersburg a few years ago and was very happy with her tour. (I know she posts on TA as well but cannot remember her poster name.)

Glad you were able to find what you want. Have a great time on your cruise!