We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Milan, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Hi,

I am going to visit Saint-Petersburg in spring for 2 weeks. And think about of renting a car, because i wanna see beautiful suburbs. I've heard that palaces and fountains there are amasing. But i am aware a little of the way russians drive. May be someone has already such experience and can recommend me where to rent a car. And is it easy or not.

St. Andrews, UK...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Just go there by boat, train or bus. Avoid driving at all costs, as congestion in city centre is absolutely ridiculous.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

I do not like to tarnish my country - but quality of roads, drivers, traffic police and VIP corteges prevent me from driving here at all. For a non-Russian speaker that might be a real tribulation.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

You should use public transportation and/or hire a car with a driver.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Same advice here on NOT renting...I have had friends drive me around from time to time, and while they are good, courteous drivers, it is a VERY scary proposition...I would not risk it...

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Driving here is MUCH better in recent years, with more aherance to traffic laws but the main improvement seems to be due to credit which now allows people who can't afford to crash their cars for the fun of it are being more cautious. The death rate was as bad as the bad old days in the US, mid 50s when big powerful cars which handled badly and with brakes that were worse, and no seat belts, and drink while driving was considered just boys-being boys. Now the US is very safe to drive in. In Russia considering the few drivers there were 10 years ago the fatal accident rate was horrendous and few people did NOT know someone who died in a traffic accident.

Now it is much safer, in one year, the death rate dropped in half, stiff drunk driving laws came into effect soon after, and a seat belt law was introduced. At first the belt law was enforced but now people have slacked off on it. Last year a pedestrian right of way law went into effect which has slowed the speed in the city center, but do not be surprised to see Italian and Japanese super bikes racing at 250km an hour down Nevsky prospect in the middle of the day, on one wheel, and a screaming teenage girl without a helmet on the back. Or hotrods doing burnouts or racing on main streets, The police do not seem to notice, they are mostly concerned about fines for safety equipment or document infractions.

It is also the only major city of the world that allows drivers to park on sidewalks which ruin them in quick fashion. Nevsky pr has to have its wide sidewalks rebuilt every few years at tremendous cost and disruption because of cars and trucks using them as parking lots. The city administrators all drive so no prohibition will be enacted. But it probably costs the city another $250,000,000 a year fixing car induced damage to brick or granite sidewalks. But things are much better than even 5 years ago. The number of small fender bender accidents has dropped dramatically in the city center.

All this is to illustrate that driving with a rental car, not reading Cyrillic, knowing the non-standard signs or placement, grid lock and extremely unpredictable actions of fellow drivers add up to driving a rental car in St Petersburg, and even more so in the suburbs where the worse crashes occur because blind passing in the lane of on-going traffic(even the commercial buses do it and it scares the heck out of me), expecting the oncoming truck, bus or car to see and swerve over onto a soft shoulder to avoid the accident, is a bad idea.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

I am not sure that it is a good idea. If you do not want to use suburbs, you can get to the centre by buses or mini-buses.

If you have decided, I think that the most convenient way to know about car rental offices is to contact Hotel manager directly. Be assured they can reccommend you!

Traffic on the roads is very dense and and not all drivers are competent enough, do not forget about these points!

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Public transport in Saint-Petersburg!

Saint Petersburg has an extensive city-funded network of public transport (buses, trams, trolleybuses) and several hundred routes served by marshrutkas. Trams in Saint Petersburg used to be the main transport; in the 1980s, Leningrad had the largest tramway network in the world, but many tramway rail tracks were dismantled in the 2000s.

Buses carry up to 3 million passengers daily, serving over 250 urban and a number of suburban bus routes. Saint Petersburg Metro underground rapid transit system was opened in 1955; it now has five lines with 64 stations, connecting all five railway terminals, and carrying 3.4 million passengers daily. Metro stations are decorated in marble and bronze.

Traffic jams are common in the city, because of high daily traffic volumes between the commuter boroughs and the city centre, intercity traffic, and at times excessive snow in winter. Five segments of the Saint Petersburg Ring Road were opened between 2002 and 2006.

Munchen
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

Hello,

I've been recently in Saint-Petersburg. For me it is not very convinient to use public transport, especially in Russia, because its too crowded. But i wanted to see the city and all places of interest. And i've decided to rent a car during my stay. I've rent it in my hotel Park inn Pulkovskaya, its near the airport. Rental company called Auto Empire (www.autoempire.su). I've got a car with navigation, so it was easy for me to go around the city and my car was new, in a very good condition. As for the roads, it is true that they are not as good as in the rest of Europe. But i've heard that it is much better now than it was.

So for me it was very pleasant experience. I didn't had any problems with policemen and i wasn't regret that i've dicide to rent a car in Russia. It was something new for me.

And my advice for you if you decide to rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, just go and do it. Or if you are still not sure, you may rent a car with a driver. Ofcaurse it will be more expensive, but still cheaper than to use a taxi.

Hope my experience will be helpfull for you. Wish you a pleasant stay in Saint-Petersburg.

9. Re: Rent a car in Saint-Petersburg, Russai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2012, 05:33