We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Has anyone used Marina S Wilson Private Tours when visiting St. Peterburg. Or have you any recommendations

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Do these nine people not count?

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Tour guides in St Petersburg are probably different than you have used before. It is considered a profession here, and licenses for each museum, cathedral or palace, acquired by passing exams after school at each. If you are looking for a guide, any licensed guide will likely get very high marks and reviews....partly because most are good and very well versed in the history, culture and tourism of the area. The two other Destination Experts for St Petersburg would be safe bets.

If you are looking for a tour operator to create a package for you, that is a little different and requires a higher level of establishment. It requires a federal registration and proof of financial responsibly before given the right to host foreign visitors. They would probably create an itinerary, book hotels and transportation, supply tickets/vouchers for the venues/museums and other services that fall under the domain of tour operators. You can tell quickly whether the tour operator is registered and can legally host you, they will have a registration number called a MBT number which will be displayed on their web site. With that, they can officially invite you and provide visa support, and register your visa when you arrive. Your hotel can also do that.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Thank you for your reply. I found it most informative

st-petersburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Hi, I am Marina Wilson, a proprietor of Marina Wilson Private Tours.

I am not quite sure what Stanj implied by " a profession here" as I believe a tour guide is a profession everywhere. Different skills are certainly required for eco tour guides, adventure tour guides and history/art tour guides.

I am a fully licensed tour guide, also a proprietor of the tour operating boutique company "Marina Wilson Private Tours" (federation registration number 003117 displayed on our website which in adherence with TA policy I am not going to mention).

The company has been operating since May, 2009. Prior to that I worked as a free lance guide for 2 years.

I came to travel business as a mature professional of the FMCG sector. My resume lists positions of the HR Director for several companies including Coca-Cola in ST-Petersburg, Stimorol in Ukraine and Moldova and Cadbury Schweeps.

I have a linguistic and economics degree. Among many management courses I finished, I would just mention the AFTA (Australian Federation of Travel ) Course AirFares and Ticketing as the most relevant one.

Not quite sure why the question " has anyone used Marina Wilson Private Tours" triggered the comparison between tour guides and tour operators, but have to admit that I am quite happy to be both.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

To be fair, happywanderer seemed appreciative of Stan's answer.

From the list of TA reviews Marassa linked to, you are not only quite happy to serve in both but quite good at being both... a good example of how TA should work.

West Cornwall, CT
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

We selected Marina after viewing her web page and getting positive referrals from her clients. My wife and I are very seasoned and knowledgeable travelers and like to think that we do our homework. We never use "group" tours and either rely on self guiding or local private guides. Marina and her team provide the highest level of professional service, they are knowledgeable, flexible and provide a real "insider's" take on sites, culture and political climate. I have since referred several friends to her and should we return to Russia Marina is my first and only call.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,379 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

We spent 3 incredible days in St. Petersburg last August, from our cruise ship. We designed our own tours and Denrus was the company that we worked through. Our guide was: Nelly Melnikova nellymelnikova@yahoo.com

She was excellent and moved us very professionally. She was one of the best!

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

Stanj,

You sound quite objective and knowlegable..any recommendations for a one day tour operator..I see Alla tours and a few other have good ratings..

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

stanj,

I'm a big fan of your posts..would you be able to recommend a few reputable tour companies for a one day tour that I should explore...I see alla tours and a few others but not much experience with this...I understand the private tours can be cheaper and better than what cruises offer.....thx!

Brian

Edited: 09 May 2011, 01:36
10. Re: Private Tour Guide for St, Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 04:05