We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

I have a question here, hope some can help.

I applied for a visa support online from waytorussia recommended by members here. Everything should have went through smoothly but it's already 24 hrs and I have not received the documents yet. They sent me a reply that stated I will be "contacted" soon. What does that mean ?

What worries me is I am travelling and cannot be contacted by phone Anyone know if they will "phone" me or will they just forward me the documents ?

Thank you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

Just received reply from them that they can only supply visa support to Europe & North America citizens which they did not specify in their website and my payment has also been accepted.

Really disappointed. I am travelling and cannot get it done in my own country.

Is there any other way ?

Can anyone give some advice ? I hope I dont have to cancel my trip.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

You are not providing enough info...are you staying at hotels in Russia? If so, they will (should) provide for free the required docs via e-mail...within 1 day.

I think you inquired about this quite a while back. I strongly suggest you go to your local Russian consulate web site, and see if they "recommend" a visa agency (increasingly, this is the case)...if so, then an alternative would be to see if any shown can also provide the visa support.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
602 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

We dealt with them and we are not American or from Europe. See : railway-train-travel.com.au/train-trip-trans…

Seems strange to me.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

#2, I am travelling and not in my country now. Not all hotels are authorised to issue it. I went through hell of a time with the country's Visa dept staff I am now in.

I will not announce where I am now in in order not to jeorpadise my application unless I decide not to go. I am fedup with them.

#3, I applied with the info you provided. They give a reply that they only issue to North Americans & Europeans.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

I understand your frustration...but this is really very straightforward...you need the invitation to submit with your visa app. Either you have a hotel in Russia you are staying at who can provide this, or, you will have to rely on SOME visa agency (ideally, given your experience with Way-To-Russia, I would choose a local one) who MAY be able to "legally" supply this.

I have a vague feeling that maybe Jean you got yours due to being part of the "Commonwealth" (forgive my ignorance if this is not true!)...

As for not advising where you are now, there really is not anything that "sinister" about this process, just typical red tape (a.k.a. "full employment for bureaucrats)...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

Thanks but it's probably too late.

I wrote to several parties to recommend me a hotel or hostel earlier but they did not give any recommendation.

The worst is my local visa dept(country i am in now) do not want to give any advice or recommendation except for a local person whom they appointed who will charge an outrageous sum for it.. They probably work as a syndicate with him.

A very courrpted country - that's RUSSIA !!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

The problem is not Russia, you have not even talked to them. They have some simple rules, as all countries do for guests arriving, the invitation is one of them. ALL hotels which are authorized to host foreign visitors can and do provide visa support. You have only yourself to be angry with for picking hotels which are not authorized. They clearing state as to whether they are registered.

If you had checked the visa requirements, you would have found that you need to apply in your home country or in the country in which you are a legal resident, not while traveling.

By not using a registered tour operator or foreign guest authorized hotel/hostel/apartment owners there is no telling what happened, but it is not related to the Russian government or legitimate hotels or tour operators who would have no problem issuing visa support. By skirting the laws and visa rules you created problems for yourself, while millions of others who did not try to avoid the rules have their visas in hand. Blaming the country for your own actions is really silly.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

Stanj...bravo...very elegantly stated and to the point- needless beating up on a country simply working by a clear set of rules, and ones that, except for the invitation, do not differ from pretty much any place else.

I have a hard time understanding what was so hard about checking this out thoroughly, and also, why anyone would have an expectation of getting a visa, invitation requirement or not, when they are in a whole different country...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

stan & Ebert,

I know better than the 2 of you what happened and who in the embassy and visa dept I have spoken to, and what I have been told, so I don't think you have the right to comment who is to blame over my own case.

You guys have the right not to believe my words but not to comment or blame me for an incident you don't know.

Case closed. I choose not to go now.

Edited: 08 May 2011, 22:59
10. Re: Visa Support(Invitation Letter) from "waytorussia"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2012, 10:37