We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian Food

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Russian Food

Hi, I am asking a question about russian food because I suffer of some food allergies

I cannot eat anything with milk or milk products - like cheese, butter, yoghourt and so on - eggs and fish.

I would like to know what kind of fat is usually used in Russian Food.

In Spain we use olive oil most of the time, sometimes also pork fat.

When I travel abroad sometimes I have to survive with nuts and fruit and sometimes grilled meat, as it is difficult to be sure that there is no milk in the food.

Usually I look for restaurants with vegan food as well as places with grilled meat.

So, first I would like to ask which fat is often used in Russia to cook? and second, I would really appreciate any advice about places where I can find vegan food or grilled meat. It is a health problem, not a choice.

Thanks a lot.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian Food

Sunflower oil is used usually, sometimes also pork fat.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian Food

I'd say in genuine Russian kitchen butter is used the most often, sometimes sunflower oil, sometimes pork fat. Don't really know about decent vegan or grill places, not exactly my stuff. But there is a great variety of different kinds of food available in Moscow, I'd even say there is much more Italian (pizza) and Japanese (sushi) restaurants than genuine Russian ones. You should also consider Caucasian kitchen, lots of grilled meat there, but they can use milk products to pre-soak the meat, so make sure before you try.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian Food

Hi,

While cooking it can be either olive or sunflower oil or butter used.

I would recommend you to emphasize to the waiter that your food should be cooked with olive or any other oil only not butter.

Many dishes have a sauce (mushroom for ex) which contains cream, so again make sure there is nothing of it in your meal. Just say - no sauce please)))

Stay away from the famous Russian dishes such as 'Beef-Stroganoff' - cooked with cream, 'Chiken Kiev' - cooked with butter, Russian salad (or Olivier salad) - cooked with majonese, panckakes or blinies - cooked with eggs.

If you order soup ask to serve it without sour-cream.

Most restaurants have vegetables and grilled meat in the menu.

Vegan restaurant is:

Botanika - Pestelya street, 7. It is located in the city center - about 10 min walk from the Spilled Blood church. http://www.cafebotanika.ru/en/

Have a pleasant journey!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian Food

Hi,

vegetarian chain "Troitskiy Most" ("Троицкий мост") http://www.t-most.ru/eng/index.eng.htm few bistros in the city center and Vasilievsky island (addresses under "bistro" and "restaurant"). Food is very good and the menu is diverse.

Here are two more vegetarian restaurants I found on the Inet (but I've never been there):

- Гауранга (Guaranga), Ligovsky prospekt, 17. Subway station "Ploshchad' Vosstaniya" Mon - Fri 12.00—23.00

- Кашмир, Bolshaya Moskovskaya street, 7. subway station "Dostoevskaya", Mon-Fri

11.00—23.00

5. Re: Russian Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:17