We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New visa form and new visa policies.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
New visa form and new visa policies.

Starting July 1, visa applications in the US and probably elsewhere, require filling out the application on a Russian based web site. The information is recorded but the form can still printed by the applicant. for their records. The data is forwarded to the specific consulate the applicant specifies. The processing status can be monitored as the application is accepted, processed and visa approved.

http://evisa.kdmid.ru/

The web site requires registration to access the forms or account info.

When the presidents of Russia and the US met earlier this summer they signed an agreement to work towards easier visa processing and longer duration. These sorts of photo-op announcements occur all the time and the bureaucrats usually come up with ways to delay or sidetrack any changes.

Apparently this one really has been fast tracked. A new policy of visa applications, without the need to get invitations, will be unveiled in a couple weeks. A new 3 year multiple-entry visa will be available for both countries, for those who have visited before. Actually, the US has been issuing multi-year visas for years to Russian citizens.

Several newspapers have published the changes and more information will be available in coming days.

1. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 19:56
Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

Great news! Has anyone already gotten a visa using this website?

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

I cannot get the website to open.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

It is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not an agency. It is used for filling in the application and recording the data in their system and allowing you to print a copy to present to your nearest consulate.

This has been required since July 1st for all applicants for the current visas types. I just checked the address: http://evisa.kdmid.ru, which is correct, is down now and returns with an Error 404, no page found. www.kdmid.ru is the main information web site for government information and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The new visa policies have not been made public or their effective dates.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

We are on the road at the moment so I don't have all the details to hand, but the visa process for Australia has also moved from printed forms to online forms - we got caught filling in a printed version of the old online form and only thanks to an alert travel agent at Diploma Travel, we managed to carry out the online process satisfactorily. Not without some anxiety though - we were hyper sensitive to getting everything just right and were thrown when one of the cells did not allow the reponse to register properly within the frame, actually over-typing the question. But it was submitted and we got our visa ok. Will report on the full outcome when we finish our visit later in July.

Cambridge, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

Hi - can you help. We are cruising to St Petersburg in early September with Princess Cruises. I am trying to do St Petersburg independently but keep reading about the distance from the ship to the port, then the problems with visas at the customs and then transport to the centre. Is there someone I can contact to take us to St Caterines Palace then back to the Centre leave us there and pick us up in the evening and take us back to the ship without the need for a visa

Eileen

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

Yes, I applied for one last week....got my "invitation ' first from Intelcenter...cost us $30.00 each. Then applied online for the visa....the new system was started on July 1st.. When I applied, on July 6th, the website was having trouble. It took one hour to complete the form...you fill in each page as a draft and in the end, you get the whole appllication form which you can then print (you need adobe reader to do this.). I took the application with my photo, invitation and passport to the Russian Consulate in DC ( I live in that city) and will go in 10 days to pick it up. I had to give them a money order for $140.00..only money orders or certified checks accepted.. Its a long process and whenever I called to speak to someone at the Embassy, they told me to check their website for answers.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

@christ2f: licensed tour companies provide customers with what is termed "blanket visas" (basically a tour ticket received by email), which, together with your passport, enables you to tour with them while ashore. Because they take responsibility for you for your time onshore, you cannot set out on your own, but easily can utilize their private tour services. Other threads mention many popular companies that provide this service: SPB-Tours (whom I used on June 18 and June 19), Alla Tours, TJ Travel, DenRus, Red October.

There is a lot of information about these private tour companies on the Northern Europe & Baltics forum of sister website cruisecritic, which also provides a "roll call" mechanism to contact others on your cruise to share touring expenses. For example, we toured with one other couple, which substantially reduced our two-day private tour costs. Others put together larger groups as well.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 20:28
Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

Maryd:

How long is the visa good for--a year or what???

Does the life of the visa start at time of application or at time of entry into Russia??

How long before departure were you able to apply?

We are planning a trip to Russia next year to take theTransSiberian train and I am "planning ahead". :)

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New visa form and new visa policies.

A Tourist Visa is good for the duration your sponsor invites you for not to exceed 30 days. The duration will be the dates your sponsor writes in the visa support form. The visa time starts on the day the sponsor sets in the visa support document. So, for example, you get a visa invitation for 30 days starting on the 7th of the month but you arrive in Russia on the 10th your total stay can be 27 days

There are other visas types with longer duration, including a soon to be announced 3 year visa. Of the most common, Tourist and Business, 90 days is the longest one can stay in Russia. A 12 month Business visa allows 90 days in country followed by 90 days outside Russia, and than another span of 90 days can be used inside the country sometime within the span between 180 days from the first entry and the end of the 12 month visa validity period. For more flexibility, you might want to check into getting a 90 day Business Visa.