We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm security codes

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
atm security codes

At a recent travel seminar it was stated that there is a security code restriction at European (& Russian) ATMs of 4 or 5 digits. I have never heard of such a thing - can anyone enlighten me??

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm security codes

What do you mean by "security code"? You need to enter your 4-digit PIN like anywhere else.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm security codes

yep a 4 digit pin for international use please

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm security codes

The security code is a 3 or 4 digit number on the back of the card that is a created by a calculation of the primary card number. It is supposed to help verify that the card is not counterfeit or when using a card in a non-swipe transaction, to verify that the card is present. Card number theft and use on the internet is intended to be greatly reduced if the security code is required for a transaction.

The Pin code is used as a personal identifier and in not the security code. Visa and MC use 3 digit security codes and AmEx uses a 4 digit security code.

Russian cards use 3 digits, and well as most cards in the world. The security code is not used with ATMs so they must have been referring to the PIN code. 4 Digit PIN codes are expected for ATM and Debit use Credit card use does not use PIN codes, only a signature.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm security codes

Thanks all for your input ..... actually meant the PIN number ........

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm security codes

I have used USA bank ATM card in Mexico and in Costa Rica retrieving money in the local currency.... I assume same in Russia, Mongolia and China. Am I correct??

Edited: 10 July 2011, 21:09
kentucky
Level Contributor
195 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: atm security codes

Yes we have used them and there are no problems. You can even press english. Just know how many rubles or yen you want ahead of time.

Saint Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atm security codes

All ATMs in Russia are 2 languages and accept Visa Mastercard an AmEx. And you use pin for your card - us in your country. I recommend to use ATM of VTB, CITI Bank, Reiffeisen bank, Alfa Bank and SberBank ....

Edited: 11 July 2011, 15:33
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: atm security codes

Thanks for your feedback! It is a big help.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 18:20
capecod,ma.
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: atm security codes

My ATM password code in the US is 6 digits. Do the ATMs in St. Petersburg, Russia allow for you to have a 6 digit password code ?

Thank you,

Steve

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: atm security codes

It is my understanding that you are limited to four digits only but I look forward to the response of our St. Petersburg experts.