We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Portugal
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Hello, I'll be in St. Petersburg 8 nights August 6-14 and have researched many hotels in the $200 range for a single room. Can anyone give me advice comparing the Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum? I'm an attractive female who stays out sightseeing until at least 10 pm--I like to revisit sites at night for the lights. Would walking to a hotel on the Fantanka Canal late at night be ok? There are no Metro stops nearby and cabs are too expensive. I prefer smaller hotels 30-60 rooms for the personal service but location and safety are important. Will spend 6 nights in Moscow prior to St. Pete at the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel. I'm from New York City and am an experienced traveler so know how to get around. Thanks very much. Virginia

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

hi, Virginia, all 4 hotels you've mentioned are in the very heart of the city, nice and safe areas.

If you mean taking Fontanka river to Rossi hotel than first of all it's safe, second you can take Rossi street as well - the hotel faces the little round Lomonosov square.

Comfort and Petro Palace hotels are even further away from the subway station than Rossi hotel is but still it's safe and nice walk.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Among the hotels you mentioned Comfort Hotel seems to match your criteria the best - it is the most centrally located - between the Hermitage and St.Isaak's cathedral, it is small and comfortable.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

If proximity to a metro is a priority you might want to add "Nevsky Forum" hotel on Nevsky Prospect which is 20 meters from a station, and fits your price range.

You will likely find that you are some of the only people back in a hotel room if you are heading back at 10. Most of the active night spots for music, dance and conversation do not even get going until after 10. Dance spots are usually dead until 1am when they get very very crowded.

Going out in the evening should not be a problem, it is the norm. After midnight when public transportation ends, the normal way of women to get around it hailing the first private car to come down the street for a form of paid hitch-hiking. The city center will be full of young people, 16-26 or so filling every cafe, sushi cafe, coffee house club, pub and DJ bar, not to mention the streets. The center of the city is pretty youth oriented and it is generally a very well behaved, polite, and well educated crowd. If you are used to walking around late in NYC, you will be surprised how well educated and stylish many young people are here, where it is fun to meet random people and socialize. I go to dance clubs here a lot, and find that those in attendance are quite different than those who are clubbers back home in the US. It would be hard to find someone over 20 who does not have a university degree in those clubs.

Portugal
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Hi Stanj, I'm at the Comfort Hotel--they've already emailed visa support papers. Thanks for your advice--this Friday I'm first in Moscow for 6 days and then 8 in St. Petersburg. There's so much to see--especially museums and architecture--no sleep for me! Virginia

Portugal
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Thanks for your advice--I'll be at the Comfort for 8 days after 6 days in Moscow. Looking foward to your beautiful city, museums, architecture and of course the people. Virginia

Portugal
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

Hi Eugenia, Thanks for your help-I'll be at the Comfort for 8 days and am looking forward to 8 days in beautiful St. Petersburg! I go to Moscow first for 6 days and then take the fast train to St. Pete to see some countryside. I've found that traveling independently is the best way to meet people and get to experience the culture--a lot of work to make individual arrangements but easier with your advice. Virginia

7. Re: St. Pete hotel: Rossi, Comfort, Petro Palace, Nevsky Forum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:18