We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Can anyone give an idea of what sort of daily budget is necessary to provide extras such as lunch and dinner in typical, modest, mid-range local cafes / restaurants plus a few evening alcoholic drinks (locally produced beers and vodkas) in standard city centre bars rounded off by some evening entertainment in a night club?

Plus, what are the standard costs of staples from supermarkets in and around the city centre?

And what can one expect to pay for decent quality (i.e. not sold on the street) tourist items such as nesting dolls, hats with ears, caviar etc?

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Let's try to count.

Lunch.

Business-lunch in any restaurant in downtown is about 200 - 400 Rubles per person. it is usually served between 12.00 and 16.00.

Dinner. When I have dinner in the city it is usually 2.000 - 3.000 Rubles per two people plus alcohol. Beer in the restaurant will be about 200-400 Rubles per glass. Same price for vodka in the bar.

In the bar cocktails are about 400 - 1000 Rubles per glass. Some bars are free entry, others (more like dancing clubs) are about 1000 Rubles per person.

Food in the grocery.

Ham is 400 - 600 Rubles per kilo

Cheese is 300 - 600 Rubles per kilo

Bread is 20 - 100 Rubles

Milk is 50 rubles per liter

Apples are 70 - 100 Rubles per kilo

Dolls are 1000 Rubles - anything. You will see.

Red caviar - about 3000 Rubles per can

Hope this helps)))

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

It does, many thanks.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Don't set your budget based on those prices, they are extreme for places where people what to conspicuously spend to show their pocket money. That is not how the normal people or tourists spend however. 1000 for a mixed drink??? wow, I glad I do not go to such places...but I doubt there is any place in the city that is worth going to which I have not been to. A standard like a Mojito , the very popular Cuban drink is 275-325. A "B-52" flaming drink so popular in clubs is 180-325. A 50 ml shot of Jack Daniels is normally 250.

Even such rip off places like the major hotels charge 400 rubles for a beer, or 1000 for a mixed drink. Lower cost but popular attractive places like the Kontact Bar in the new Olympic Plaza charges only 85 for good local beer and 65 during happy hour(all afternoon).

The most expensive beer is Guinness which is from 260-325 rubles but most imported beer from Germany or Belgium are 185-250, local beer...some of which is quite good is 65-150 in a pub, less in a cafe. Buying the same beer in a grocery store will be 25-36 rubles. Imported bottle beer is 36-80 depending on the brand and store.

There are lots of ways of living for a reasonable figure. There are hundreds of cafes and restaurants where a good lunch of various national cuisines for 150-220 for business lunch. Russian and western fast food, like the popular Blini cafes are tasty and cheap. A Subway sandwich for 7.5cm sub is around 50-70 rubles.

The clubs can cost a lot if the door face control does not like you, but otherwise they are all free. I have not paid for entrance in years and probably visit more clubs than anyone on this forum.

If in doubt go early, say, 10-11 pm, before anyone shows up, and have dinner and just stay when it starts to fill up.

The wholesale cost of apples and other food products can be tracked on a wholesale database, currently the price for Granny Smith apple is 34Rubles a kilogram which means that discount retail stores have them for 44Rubles a kilogram or less, and a few expensive stores mark them up to 60-70 Rubles.

Red Caviar is cheap enough that is is a snack food, spread on crackers or bread the way jam or peanut butter is used in UK or US. A small can, about all you can eat since i is pretty filling, is in the 300 ruble range and wholesale it is 1000-1400 for 1 kg. Black caviar is not so easy to find or afford, and there are export restrictions due to the dwindling supply and habitat of the sturgeon it comes from.

Basically, vegetables, fruit, dairy products, beef, eggs etc are about the same as in UK. You can find bargains at discount grocery stores or sales in the large supermarkets.

In the last week I have had lunch or dinner at New Island(river boat fine dinning restaurant/cruise), Russian Vodka Room Restaurants, Summer Palace, and Novotel Hotel and never spent more than 1100 rubles per person, for restaurants that are considered higher end of food quality.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Examples of today: 2 pizzas at a small restaurant the Testo (downtown area) with 2 glasses of wine - 750 rubles, about $25. Normally a more serious dinner will be within $50 with wine at most - unless you go to some specific places like the Noble Nest, Old Customs House. the Strtopganoff Steak House or the Daniel

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Are there beer and wine shops in addition to bars? Is it sold in grocery store? Thank you

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

Yes, you can buy beer and wine and vodka in the grocery stores. Once we know where you stay we can suggest the closest ones

7. Re: Approximate Costs of Living for Tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:17