We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

We just returned from a fantastic cruise on the Baltic Sea. We saw unbelievable places filled with beauty and history - Stockholm, Helsinki, Estonia, Latvia, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Bruges.

We loved all the places, but the highlight of our trip was St. Petersburg. We were there for three days, and we had a fantastic tour guide, Gennadiy Chentsov, who picked us up at the ship at 9:00 AM and returned us at 6:00 PM each day. He grew up in St. Petersburg, speaks perfect English, and had been recommended highly by some friends of ours. It was quite extraordinary!!

Everything was arranged before hand - he got visas for us, he made reservations at all the historical places and restaurants, he had a driver for us, since there were 6 in our group - we had absolutely no worries or concerns. He took us to unbelievable places, and wonderful restaurants for lunch each day. Some places we would never had seen if we had taken the cruise excursions - and the price was much better. I cannot say enough about how he made our St. Petersburg experience so memorable!! He will arrange your schedule of places according to how many days you will be in St. Petersburg. We were there for three days, and each day was packed with so much. Our first day we went to St. Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral and the Church of the Spilt Blood in the morning. Then we went to lunch across the water from the Church of the Spilt Blood to Cafe St. Petersburg. Absolutely delicious food - loved the borsch!! That afternoon we went to the Smolny Institute for Nobel Ladies, where the Bolshevik Headquarters were after the revolution of 1917, and where Lenin and his wife lived. The next day we went to see the statue of Peter the Great on Horseback, stopped at the monument preserving the memory of those tragic and heroic 900 days of the siege of Leningrad - 1941 - 1944. We went to Pushkin and saw the Russian Orthodox church that Tsar Nicholas and his family attended in their last days, and where they lived at Alexander's Palace. We continued on to Catherine's Palace which is filled with history and absolutely gorgeous - blue, white and gold!! We had another delicious lunch back in St. Petersburg at Cafe Bernedy. Then we went to the fabulous Hermitage, which is unbelievable. Gennadiy was so informative about all the art works, and all the history - amazing!! Our last day we went to Peterhof, which was Peter the Great's Grand Palace overlooking the Gulf of Finland. Absolutely beautiful fountains and grounds!! For lunch we went to the Vodka museum, where we had a tour of the museum, had a snack with a sampler of vodka, and another delicious lunch. It was such a fun time!!! Then we went to the Yusupov Palace, which survived the wars with much of its original interior and artwork. In the cellar of this palace, Rasputin was poisoned!! So much history and so interesting. What a fantastic last day we had in St. Petersburg!! It was very hard to say goodbye to Gennadiy, as he was such a wonderful guide, and such a nice person. We would recommend him to anyone who would like to really see St. Petersburg, learn a lot of history, and have a pleasant person to guide you!! It definitely was the highlight of our marvelous trip!!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

For what it's worth, I also highly recommend Gennadiy Chentsov.

Gennadiy is a knowledgeable guide and trustworthy driver who speaks good English and delights in sharing his beloved St. Petersburg with visitors. He is also very resourceful in tailoring programs to his clients' interests. For instance, I never thought it would be possible to go inside the Smolniy Institute compound, but Gennadiy made it happen.

New York City
Level Contributor
298 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Please let me know how to get in touch with the guide you are recommending. Is he licensed? How does he charge? Does he have his own company? Does he drive? Thanks so much

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Hi, nezzie, you easily can contact him by sending him a message on Facebook. (Google is a wonderful device!)

Edited: 06 November 2011, 15:19
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Hi Nezzie -

Gennadiy is fantastic, and you will love his tours around St. Petersburg. He is a licensed tour guide, and speaks perfect English. He drives if there are 4 people or less. We had 6, so he hired a driver with a van. He charges a very fair price that you do not have to pay until the end of your tour. He didn't even ask for a deposit or credit information. We had him for 3 full days, and everything was taken care of by him - you do not need to get a Russian visa or tickets to museums, etc. - he will get all that for you. He will ask for your passport info, etc., and he will let you know when he needs any other specific information. The best way to contact him is by e-mail - spb_gennadiy57@mail.ru

When will you be going to St. Petersburg? It definitely was the highlight of our 3 week trip!! Good luck, Claudia

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

>>>>> you do not need to get a Russian visa or tickets to museums, etc. - he will get all that for you.

This is a new one for me, how can he get a Russian visa for someone in the US? I'm intrigued.

New Bern, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Do you mind telling me what this type of private tour cost you and your group? How did you arrange this excursion with this person? I plan to be land based (party of 2 at present but have other friends that might can make a group of 5 or 6. )

Thanks,

Bob

toothdoc@suddenlink.net

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Hi Bob -

We arranged our tour through e-mail. Some friends of ours had recommended him, so we knew it was a great deal and that we could trust Gennadiy. His e-mail is spb_gennadiy57@mail.ru

We had a three day tour and the cost was probably half of what it would have been taking all the cruise excursions to the sites that we saw. Also he takes you to the greatest local restaurants, and to places that none of the cruise tours would have taken us. Since each tour group is different, it is probably best to find out from Gennadiy what the cost would be. Believe me, he is very reasonable, and you will have an experience of a lifetime!!

Good luck, Claudia

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Bob, please disregard the misleading misinformation about a guide getting a Russian visa for you: the topic starter was obviously visiting Russia on a 72-hour visa waiver program for cruise passengers. Won't work in your case.

New York City
Level Contributor
298 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Thanks for the input on Gennadiy. I will contact him shortly.

There will just be two of us and I am hoping we can do some things that the "average" tourist does not get to do! (although what exactly these are, I don't know!) I do know I don't what to spend 4-5 days JUST visiting museums and learning Russian history - hope to also learn what life is like today - and meet some of the people. WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY to get a Visa since I won't be coming off a ship but probably flying into S.P. from Helsinki?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wonderful private guide - Gennadiy Chentsov

Hi - If you go to Gennadiy's website, all the information that you will need to know is there. We were on a cruise, so it is different, as one person mentioned. I am sorry if I misled you in anyway. When on a cruise, if you do not take the cruise excursions, you need to deal with one or another tour company because according to Russian Law without Russian visas you are not allowed to go ashore on your own. The passengers of cruise ships arriving to St Petersburg are allowed to stay in Russia without a visa up to 72 hours. With the help from a local tour company, Gennadiy can do all requested paper work for a visa-free visit, send you a tour-ticket (the only document you need together with your passport) and take you sightseeing on a private tour from the quay.

Here is Gennadiy's website - www.guide-petersburg.com

He may be able to answer more of your questions if you contact him.

Good luck, Claudia