We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet in St. Petersburg

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ballet in St. Petersburg

Has anyone been to the ballet? If so, is it of good quality?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

neuhoftraveler,

>>The director of the so-called "Hermitage Theatre," on the other hand, is said to be Lev Bruskin, and its soloists as coming from the Mariinsky.

This is SPb theater Russian Ballet http://rus-ballet.com/ The dancers might be from Mariinsky but they are not Mariinsky primas :)

The Hermitage theater is just a theater inside the Winter Palace, it hosts all sorts of concerts and other performances.

If I were you I wouldn't buy tickets to any of the mentioned above especially through the operaandballet.com web-site and would wait for the Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky playbill. Besides, Mariinsky will host annual XX Music Festival "Stars of the White Nights" 25 May – 15 July 2012. The playbill is coming soon.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
597 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Svetakoshka,

Sounds like good advice. We will wait patiently and see what Mariinsky offers on our dates.

Thanks again for your expert guidance.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I would also advise to look for Boris Eifman theatre at http://www.eifmanballet.ru/. So far they perform more often abroad, all over the world - not having their own place for performance in native St.Petersburg. I am not a ballet lover at all - but Eifman's Anna Karenina, the Seagull, Musaget, Red Giselle are absolutely great.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Bearing in mind of course that Eifman does "contemporary" dance not at all like the classical ballet of Mariinsky etc

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I'm thinking of going to SPB in October/November of this year and a visit to the Mariinsky will be a highlight of the trip. I love ballet and Romanov history.

Do you know when they post the playbill? Do they still follow the old season from Tsarist times - roughly September-April?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Nowadays the season may start late September - early October getting finished in July (this year supposedly mid-July). Playbills for the beginning of the season - for sure 2 months in advance.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Eifman: I disagree about his company - it is a mixture of classical ballet and some modern elements with huge impact of drama, no fairy tales, rather tragedies like Anna Karenina, Idiot, Karamazovs, Red Giselle, Musaget, Russian Hamlet etc. I have not seen all his productions - may be Onegin Online is more modern (ask Madonna - she was spotted at this production in St.Petersburg several years ago and one of my tourists made a picture of her at the Tsar's box of Alexandrinsky theatre)

Fortaleza, CE
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hi!

I´ll be at Moscou (29 and 30th, june) and St. Petersburg (01st, 02nd and 03rd, july) and I´d like to see Classical Ballet. I´ve seem that the Bolshoi´s Premiere with WWB@ALLET.RU will be at 29th june, at the (small) World famous bolshoi theatre, and I know that the Mariinsky is the best company in Russia, but they´ll not playing the Swan Lake. Which one is the best?

I´d love to see the Swan Lake, but in which place: Russian Classical Ballet PalaceTheatre, Alexandrinsky Imperial Ballet Theatre or Ballet Theatre of Saint Pettersburg Conservatoire?? Which one is the best?

Thank you so much!!!

Edited: 10 June 2012, 23:02
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

CamilaVN hello,

Swan Lake in SPb for your dates (June 1-3). There are 3 ballet companies performing during your dates: "SPb theater Russian ballet", Yacobson's ballet company and Tachkin's ballet company. First one is pure tourist-oriented. The other two - are better even though also perform mostly over the summers (for the tourists).

They all don't have their own stages and perform at other (mostly drama) theaters: at the Hermitage theater, at the Conservatoire theater, at the theater of Musical comedy at the Alexandrinsky theater. Out of all these theaters the Alexandrinsky itself is more interesting, authentic, grand etc. Conservatoire - just a very simple hall. The Hermitage theater - is very expensive (regardless of who performs there).

If I were you my first choice would be Swan Lake on July 2 at Alexandrinsky theater performed by Yacobson's ballet company http://yacobsonballet.com . Good ballet company, interesting theater.

My second choice would be July 3, Tachkin's ballet company performing at the theater of Musical Comedy http://www.spbt.ru/main/index.php?lang=eng

Fortaleza, CE
3 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Thank you so much!

I´ve made my choice about The swan lake!

Another doubt: The Premiere´s Bolshoi "WW.B@ALLET.RU" will be at 29th, july, at Bolshoi Ballet and Opera Theatre. How is the ballet/the premiere? Is it a mix of many dances/variances of differents ballets? Do you recomend that one?

Thank you again!