We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet in St. Petersburg

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ballet in St. Petersburg

Has anyone been to the ballet? If so, is it of good quality?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hi Barbara,

definitely go for Mikhailovsky theater, Giselle on the 13th www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/afisha/… !

If you cannot get the tickets (sold out/too expensive) look at the other options not only from the point WHERE they perform but rather WHAT company is dancing. My order of preference: Jacobson's ballet and/or Tachkin's ballet (both are less touristy and good), Russian ballet (very touristy). For more info about the dancing companies/venues differences, please see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k5557…

Vitoria, ES
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Thank you so much for you attention! :)

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
598 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Question for Svetakoshka and Veresh: I've used the term "touristy" myself, but confess I can't clearly articulate exactly what I mean by this. What do you mean to convey when you describe one ballet company as more "touristy" than others?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
309 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

So I ended up puchasing Ballet tickets at the Alexandrinsky from the Ticketnow site ... they said they are the producers of the show. It is the Yacokbson Ballet ... if all goes well when they deliver the tickets to my hotel towards the end of the month, We got great seats at a price cheaper than other sites. I'll report back after my trip in Sept.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

neuhoftraveler, by "touristy" I mean they mainly have one ballet in their repertoire (usually "Swan Lake", very rarely "Giselle") and they have performances in the summers only (when major theaters - Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky are on vacation) and have few performances at the NewYear's eve. Hopefully, the dancers work at some other ballet theaters during a year so they have regular practice and dance in different ballets (=getting different experience) etc.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
598 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Svetakoshka, thanks for a very informative answer. I would have speculated that "touristy" might include choreography that emphasizes showy or "dramatic" movements likely to impress novice audiences (like me), at the expense of subtler, more elegant ones appreciated by true aficionados (like you).

Let me also thank you (and Veresch) for your detailed and excellent advice a few months ago on choosing seats at the Mikhailovsky. At "Onegin" in mid-June, based on your recommendations, we took the Belle Etage, Row 2, Seats 12 and 13, right next to the Tsar's Box. The view was perfect, and the performance was outstanding. Your guidance made a big contribution to our evening.

India
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I am visiting in Feb on the 3rd and 4th, could anyone recommend some ballets that i could watch, i am really keen to see some good performances

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

The only option is Laurencia at the Mikhailovsky theatre - a colourful ballet after Lope de vega's comedy "Fuente Ovejuna" on February 03 at 13.00 http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/afisha/2013/2/

India
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Thanks Verech, any other tips for my 2 days

New York City
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I'll be in St. Petersburg May 20 - 26. I've booked a performance at the Mikhailovsky on May 23. Does anyone, especially Svetakoshka, have advice for other performances? The White Nights - which begins May 24- tickets aren't available yet on the Mariinsky website. I keep checking several times a day. The Alexandrinsky is closed until May 27.