We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet in St. Petersburg

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ballet in St. Petersburg

Has anyone been to the ballet? If so, is it of good quality?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hello,

I appear to have made a mistake in my haste to see Swan Lake (my 1st LP, to practice my ballet steps to!) by booking at The Hermitage AND through Ballet & Opera website 😞

We are in SP overnight on the 23rd and 24th of June and would very much welcome your recommendation for a great ballet, preferably in an inspiring setting.

Yours in hope!

Rebecca

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
72. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

We saw Gisele at the original Marinski. The little gold chairs were hard, the auditorium warm, but all that was forgotten once the performance started. It was magical.

1 post
Save Reply
73. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

8/25/14,which one has better show, Conservatory or Mikhailovsky theatre.

Thanks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

> 8/25/14,which one has better show, Conservatory or Mikhailovsky theatre

All operators of our free help desk are busy right now. In the meantime, if it wouldn't inconvenience you too much, could you possibly google up what exactly is on at those two venues on that date and post it here, so that people who choose to help others for free won't have to do it themselves?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

>>8/25/14,which one has better show, Conservatory or Mikhailovsky theatre.

between these two - Tachkin's ballet at Mikhailovsky theater is better ....

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I have googled quite a bit and this thread has been most helpful. we will be in spb June 21st. they are playing a Midsummer night's dream at the Mariinsky. they are also playing swan lake at the Alexandinsky.

1. I have looked at multiple company sites and cannot find which ballet company is performing swan lake. can anyone help?

2. it sounds like Swan Lake would be the 'touristy' option. I did see Swan Lake at the ABT in New York and loved it. that is why I'm considering seeing it in Russia. I know the music for midnight would be wonderful but am not aware of midnight having 'classical' famous scenes like swan lake/nutcrackers/Giselle. does anyone have thoughts on seeing the midnight?

3. first row of the stalls right in front of the orchestra. Has anyone sat in/near these? do you know if you can see the floor of the stage (I.e. can you see the dancers feet)? when I have sat front row behind orchestra before, it has been far enough back that you could see the stage floor.

any thoughts would be much appreciated!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

>>June 21st.....swan lake at the Alexandinsky.

It's by SPb state Rimsky-Korsakov's conservatory theater http://www.maximilian.ru/afisha/details/36209

>> I know the music for midnight would be wonderful but am not aware of midnight having 'classical' famous scenes

try find something on youtube and also may be Balanchine name tells you something mariinsky.ru/en/…2_1900 ("about the production" part)

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Thank you very much Svetakoshka!

California
2 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Does the Hermitage Theatre of Classical Russian Ballet have good dancers? Swan Lake? is it more for tourists or would Russians go there too? We are going in early Setpmeber 2015 and Marinsky and Mikhailovsky are closed

How about Ballet Theatre of St Petersburg Giselle?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k5557…