We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking sections on Sapsan trains to Moscow?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking sections on Sapsan trains to Moscow?

I am just days away from booking my Sapsan ticket from Saint-Peterburg to Moscow, either train #151 or #153. Both seem to share the same seating plan. I 'd prefer 2nd class, but can spring for 1st. I'll be traveling May 1st, a holiday, so the trains will be busy.

Here's my question: on the rzd.ru website, it says that every car has a smoking area, but it is not maked on the plan. Does anyone know where this smoking area would be in cars 9, 8 or 7?? Would cars 10 or 6, or 1st class, be any better as far as getting AWAY from a smoking area?

I know that avoiding smoke in Russia will be a challenge... but it'll help if I can get a window seat AS FAR as possible from the smoking areas :-(

Any suggestions?

PS - Thanks Ebertsj, for the invaluable cheatsheet!

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking sections on Sapsan trains to Moscow?

As far as I know, Sapsan is an entirely non-smoking train. Smoking section (even if it exists) is not where passenger seats are, but usually these are inter-carriage connections. But again, Sapsan is non-smoking. Enjoy!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking sections on Sapsan trains to Moscow?

Thank you so much for that clarification!! The English pages of the website stated that all carriages had a smoking area, so I was a bit worried about that.

3. Re: Smoking sections on Sapsan trains to Moscow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:16