We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold or Diamond Room

CA
Level Contributor
465 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Gold or Diamond Room

Since we have limited time, doyou think it is worth it to see the Gold room, or just spend our time seeing all the other works of art in the Hermitage? Thanks for your advice.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

It depends on how much you like jewelry and how much you love art.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

Choosing between Gold and Diamond Rooms, I would prefer the second one. The Diamond Room usually impresses average visitor much more than the Gold Room, which is of more interest to people with a narrow specialization in archeology and history. And of course, as Eugenia said you shouldn't be indifferent to jewelry, diamonds, otherwise the Hermitage has a wide choice of other exhibits to satisfy your interest in art. Depending upon your interests you may wish to visit other sections of the Museum such as the antique sculpture, numismatic/ ancient coins, the art of Egypt, China, Japan, Iran, other Eastern countries, saying nothing of the most important masterpieces of the Western European artists which definitely are worth seeing.

CA
Level Contributor
465 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

Thank you for your information. I was not clear with my question. My question was should I take the extra time to see the gold or diamond room (I heard it takes an hour), or skip those rooms and focus on the rest of the museum. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

I faced this issue last summer during my visit, and decided that because of timing requirements for admission to these special rooms, and their location in this vast wonderful place that we would prefer to focus on the rest of the museum. (It's not just the hour, but the need to arrive at those locations at a precise scheduled time for admission to these rooms that made me decide to forego them.)

Edited: 26 April 2012, 16:00
St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

To get to those rooms is a special issue: you can not order it via Internet ; usually there is only one opportunity for each of them a day with 15 tickets available only in the morning (no advance sale at all), so if you like to do it then you need to order regular tickets to the Hermitage via www.hermitagemuseum.org, get museum voucher and come about 10.20 on the day to the entrance to be among the first voucher - bearers (to change your voucher for a regular ticket and to get an extra one for Gold or Diamond room); otherwise, in 30 min there might be no tickets for those special admissions in English...

CA
Level Contributor
465 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

Since I will be going with a guide, the question is still if it is worth it to see the Gold or Diamond room, or focus on the rest of the museum. If someone has seen those rooms, please advise.

Thank you.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

"To be or not to be?" that's the question of all times:-)

I have seen those rooms more than a hundred of times. Each time it was worth it.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

A licensed guide can not do it in those rooms - only guides of the Hermitage museum. I have had absolutely opposite impressions from my tourists - for some people it was a kind of a burden (no interest in Imperial extravaganza, glittering gems, kilos of gold, jewellery), for others - that was one of highlights...

CA
Level Contributor
465 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

Thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold or Diamond Room

The State Hermitage Museum maintains one of the world's best art museum websites, with a lot you can view by virtual tour and by collection. Perhaps an exploration of this website will aid in your decision, which is significant if you have limited time because of the location of these special rooms.