We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
28 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

Hi,

I'm travelling to St Petersburg next week and have heard stories about petty crime - kids surrounding you to pickpocket you and 'real' police demanding money to give your passport back.

I am a decent independent traveller and take the usual precautions of not having anything expensive on show and staying away less safe areas at night etc but can anyone give me tips so I don't get singled out by pickpockets etc? A colleague told me not to take a bag around town with me as pickpockets will just take the entire bag so I'm not too sure what to do.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Hannah

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

Your usual precautions as an independent traveller will do. St.Petersburg is no more unsafe than Paris, Rome, New York, you name it. Don't let people who obviously haven't got a clue spoil your trip with unjustified fears.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

The stories of police demanding cash are from years ago and you have nothing to worry about particularly in St Petersburg. The gangs of pickpockets however are a very real problem, but I've never heard any stories of them resorting to bag snatching. Their typical tactic is to distract you while another grabs your stuff, just be on your guard around gypsies.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

From my point of view St. Petersburg is safer than some big Europear cities such as Rome or Paris. Of course nothing and nobody is perfect so you should take the precautions you would in any large city. Please do not keep your wallets, cash, cards, passports, etc. in the back pockets of your pants, front pockets of your coats or in your bags. Try to keep all your valuables inside zippered pockets or when not using, you may leave them in the safe at the reception of your hotel.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

Hi Hannah rest assured if you take the usual safety precautions you would have to be extremely unlucky to be the victim of any sort of crime. You are also traveling during white nights when even at 10pm at night there is daylight and the streets are always thronged with people. I was there on my own last year at about the same time and I was out day and night. Never felt threatened. Its a stunning city and you will have a great time;

angie

www.angietravels.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

We just spent four days in St. Petersburg and were happily surprised to find no cause for fear of crime at all. I shopped the windows on Nevsky Prospect alone while my husband napped and had no problems or issues. At no time did we feel nervous or notice any cause for alarm.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

Thanks so much for your replies, really puts my mind at ease and I can just enjoy my holiday now.

Thanks

7. Re: Safety for single woman in St Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:42