We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

We're taking a river cruise at the end of June but booked our own flights. The tour company wants $100 to pick the two of us up at the airport and bring us to the boat. Sounds pretty steep. I was told the dock is about 9 miles from the airport. Does anyone know what that would that cost by taxi? Are we crazy to try to take a taxi if we know no Russian? Is it worth the savings or are taxis not something you want to mess with after traveling for 20 hours?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

100$ is definetely too much. Your trip should take about half-an-hour, mostly on highway, so it shouldn't cost more than 30$.

I'm not aware of which taxi company is the best, but you may find one with English-speaking drivers for sure. Here is the first one that I've found: http://www.en.taxi068.ru

It says your trip will cost 800 RUR, which is OK.

FvH
Hilversum
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

Just returned from St Petersburg. We wanted to avoid the usual Taxi hassle that can totally ruin the first impression. We booked ahead using Portassis.ru. That proved to work flawlessly. No pre-payment is required so there is little risk. Also, the driver will be in the arrival hall with a sign with your name on it. You are of the airport in no time without any hassle. Sure you might be able to find a cheaper fare if you have plenty of time and speak Russian. We found pricing competetive and had a lovely taxi experience with Friendly English speaking driver. Fully recommendable.

Vanderwood

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

Thank you so much, both Mike and Vanderwood. I contacted portassist, Vanderwood, and am waiting for a response from them.

Mike, if I could ask you a question. We're told our boat will be docked at Solyanoy prichal (Solyaloy pier), Octyabrskaya embankment 29. Google maps says it cannot find that address. Do you still think the taxi would only be $30 total for two people?

Also, at their website, Taxi 068 will only let you book a trip by calling them or entering a local number. I don't see any email address. Do you have any suggestions? We will be flying from the US. They seem to want reservations made via web.

Deborah

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

petergid.ru/mesta/solyanoy-prichal-3693.html

Salt Wharf, you could try entering it in Russian Причал Соляной

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

Pavlova12, hello,

about how to get to Solyanoi Pier take a look here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k4574… and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k4563…

It's spelled Solyanoi or Pier 31 when you look it up on the maps

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

Thank you, Svetakoshka. That helps a lot. (The spelling was a copy past from the tour company.) :-)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

it also might be spelled "Solyanoy"...

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

From the airport, taxis are easy now. There is a kiosk next to the exit door which will give a firm price based on zone. It will be less than $30 since last week I flew in from the UK and found the prices had gone up for the season...and mainly due to higher fuel prices, to the city center was 900Rubles. So going to the river port should be $20 or so. The dispatch kiosk works with a group of newer taxi companies that have newish cars and are using full time drivers/cars, instead of the old Volga's that in the past were called the "taxi mafia" by visitors who had to run the gauntlet to exit the door with aggressive taxi agents grabbing your suitcase. Avoid those older part-time taxis, the charges can be outrageous for unwary visitors who get in before agreeing to a firm price. Get the firm price before getting in. The taxi dispatchers and kiosks at the airport, train stations and ports are a lot more reasonable in price, and cleaner new cars in good condition.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

We contacted www.portassist.ru and booked the transportation online. The service was excellent. Their rate is 1200R from St. Petersburg airport to downtown and does not require pre-payment. Even our flight was cancelled and moved to an earlier flight, they adjusted quickly and met us when we arrived at the gate with our name on the board. They also gave is an excellent introductory to the city with many useful local information. As a result, we alo hired them for the return trip to the airport as well as for suburb transportation.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking a taxi from Pulkovo

The price of a taxi from the airport to a down town location arranged from managers on the spot would be 900 rubles...