We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Ponteareas, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Hello!

Has anyone been on this sightseeing bus recently?

http://citytourspb.ru/en/

We will be in St. Pete's on a Thursday and Friday and are planning to use the hop-on-hop-off on the first day and dedicate the other day to visiting the Hermitage. My husband and I both have Venezuelan passports, so we have no visa problems.

Does that sound reasonable? Feasible? Will traffic be an inconvenience?

Also, what would be the cheapest way (bar walking) to get from the cruiser docks to the Hermitage?

Many thanks in advance!!!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Which port are you arriving to? If it is a cruise ship, a taxi that can be ordered directly in the passenger terminal from the manned kiosk near the middle exit door is about the only real option and not too bad for price.

If from the ferry port you will have the option of walking to metro(subway station), using bus service to a metro station or talking a taxi since the ferry terminal is right near a city street.

If arriving at the river port, the distance is a bit further but public transportation is readily available. buses would be less than 30Rubles, taxi or metro. Buses usually go to metro stations regardless of their route but a couple bus numbers will go all the way to the city center. Right off hand I do not know which bus numbers to look for.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

My husband and I did the hop-on, hop off tour last week. We joined at the first stop and just stayed on until the end so we could get our bearings for visiting main attractions over the next few days. If you go onto their website, you can print off a 50 rouble discount voucher - make sure you print enough for each of your party - sounds obvious but we only printed one for the two of us and so only got one discounted ticket. We enjoyed the commentary (various languages via headphones) which was pretty informative. We always try to do this sort of tour when visiting a new city and this compares ok with others - we thought it a little overpriced but no real complaints about the tour itself. At each stop, the bus waited for about 10 minutes so if you just wanted to jump off to take a quick photo, you would have the opportunity to get back on the same bus.

Ponteareas, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Thanks for your reply, Stanj. We have been told our cruise ship will arrive at ST PETERSBURG SEA COMERCIAL PORT NEVA RIVER, so I guess we will take a bus into town. We need to go to Ostrovsky square, so if you can tell us which number bus to take, I will be most grateful!

Ponteareas, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Thanks for your reply, LMB71!

I had seen the vouchers, but didn't think they'd honour them. I will definitely print two of them.

We also usually do the same as you: we take a HOHO tour of any new city, so as to get oriented, and get a feel of the city. I wasn't sure whether it would work in St. Petersburg, but now I know!

Thanks for all your usefult tips!

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

In case you are docked at the neva river - then there are 2 possibilitites 0 English embankment (left bank, the same with ostrovsky square - trolleybus 5 and 22 would be the best option, leaving from the nearby Konnogvardeysky boulevard, 10 min walk from the pier) or Lieutenent Schmidt embankment (right bank, you need to walk to Bolshoy prospect of Vasilievsky island to take bus 7 or trolleybus 10 to Ostrovsky square0

Ponteareas, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

Thank-you, Veresch!

7. Re: Hop on hop off in St. Petersburg / From docks to Hermitage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:17