We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
236 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

I am visiting Moscow and St Petersburg at the end of June and wondered if it is advisable to buy tickets in advance for any of the sights or if I can just queue and buy them when I get there. Our main sightseeing days in St Petersburg will be Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

You can buy tickets only for the Hermitage museum in advance - at www.hermitagemuseum.org (which is highly "tripadvisable"); the rest - do not provide such a service

England
Level Contributor
236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

That's very helpful, thanks. I'll definitely do that.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Hi there I was in STP for 4 days last year and went just about everywhere. You dont need to get anxious about buying anything in advance as lines in the main tourist attractions move speedily and efficiently. I dont recall anywhere difficult including the Hermitage, which has plenty of tickety kiosks. One thing you may want to look out for either on line or when you get there is the English tour. I turned up just as one was starting and it was only a little extra on the ticket price but well worth it. The guide will give you some history and orientation. The Hermitage is huge and it can be almost overwhelming where to start.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Orlando
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Are you travelling on your own? Do you have a visa?

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Just got back from SPB. I would use a tour sevice like PD tours which includes the admission fees and gives excellent personal service to a max of 8 people in a group.

The crowds are very large especially in the Hermitage and a personal small group is the only way to go in my opinion. They pick you up at your hotel and I feel the price is reasonable. The Hermitage is quite an experience and the personal small group makes it work.

England
Level Contributor
236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Thanks for the info, Angie. I'm so busy at work at the moment that I'm running out of time to plan ahead so it's good to know that I can just turn up and get tickets. Terrible how work can get in the way of holidays! Vsflorida - I am travelling with my son and we have our visas sorted.

Orlando
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

How difficult was it to get a visa for Russia?

England
Level Contributor
236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

I used an agency so not hard but not cheap either. There's loads of info on visas on TA - I suggest you search the forum.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Getting a Russian visa isn't difficult but it often involves parting with a considerable amount of cash.

In the UK we have the option of submitting applications by post without going through an agency, unfortunately you don't have this option in the US.

10. Re: Do we need to buy tickets in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:17