We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for nightlife

Brazil
Level Contributor
247 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for nightlife

Hi!

My husband and I will be in SP for 5 nights in August. We've read that it's convenient to stay in the city center, close to Hermitage, because it's close to the touristic spots.

But we'd like to know if the city center is pretty, safe and if there are good restaurants in walking distance.

Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for nightlife

I stayed at Nevsky inn bed and breakfast and felt very safe. And I was travelling in a party of 2 girls. We're 30 but people say we look much younger.

It is close to everything, like Hermitage and Kazan Cathedral - the latter of which became a landmark for figuring out where we were. We did not venture farther down Nevsky Prospect.

Also there is a citibank ATM right by Kazan that is open 24 hours.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for nightlife

>>if the city center is pretty, safe and if there are good restaurants in walking distance.

this is exactly what the city center in SPb is about: pretty (if not to say gorgeous), safe and with lots of hotels/hostels, attractions, restaurants, cafes, souvenir stores etc.

Brazil
Level Contributor
247 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for nightlife

Thank you!

Where is it better to stay: close to the Hermitage (we'll visit in one day) or in Nevsky? In the last case, in which part of it? I've never seen so many well located hotels to choose from. I'm asking because I'm pregnant and wouldn't want to walk more than necessary.

We're trying to choose between Nevsky Forum, Crowne Plaza, 3mosta and whatever you suggest. If it doesn't make a difference location-wise, which one do you suggest considering other aspects, such as new rooms, etc?

Thank you!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for nightlife

Crowne Plaza is on Ligovsky Prospect close to metro, bus and shopping but not the city attractions. A 10 minute bus ride will get you to the Hermitage area.

Nevsky Forum is on Nevsky Prospect next door to a metro, and close to bus stops. Both are about mid point in the length of Nevsky Prospect in areas mostly visited by locals shopping in the many new department stores in the area, cafes, sushi cafes, etc. The sidewalks are busy and safe, fewer pickpockets go very far from a 2-3 block section of Nevsky Prospect between Moika River and Gostiny Dvor shopping center(and around Church on Spilled Blood). I never hear of any further away.

There are a lot of new hotels in the Hermitage area but most are tiny mini-hotels without services or 5 Star(or priced as 5 Star). So knowing your budget would help a lot in narrowing down the choices. If you are not going to stay long in your room, no sense spending a lot on the hotel so a min-hotel would be lower cost. Renting an apartment is the cheapest however and lots of nice modern apartments close to the attractions are available for less than hotels.

I prefer not staying on Nevsky however, it can get very crowded most days and most of the summer I avoid it, there are interesting places a couple blocks in any direction that are quieter, cheaper and more comfortable neighborhoods.

Brazil
Level Contributor
247 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for nightlife

Thanks, Stanj!

We're not interested in shopping, just touristic places and restaurants (specially if we can go walking).

We liked Pushka Inn a lot, so if we decide to pay 200 euros in a day that would be our choice. So what we're looking for is a well located hotel with a better price, and we tend to dislike old rooms more than bad breakfast or service (we just need someone to give us directions and maybe suggest a tour).

I've read this post from Veresch: "In the budget section - that might be Nevsky Inn (in Malaya Morakaya), Comfort, Herzen House, higher level - Petro Palace hotel, Tri Mosta (Three Bridges), Casa Leto, Astoria, d'Angleterre, Renaissance Baltic, Kempinsky Moika 22. All - very close to the Hermitage and St.Isaac's cathedral."

The first 3 "higher level" options he gave have the same price than the budget ones; the others are more expensive than Pushka Inn.

Any ideas?

Brazil
Level Contributor
247 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location for nightlife

up!

7. Re: Best location for nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:15