We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Are there ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport arrivals? I don't wan't to exchange hard currency for Rubbles at the Airport but will need cash for a taxi to our hotel.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Let me google that for you: pulkovoairport.ru/eng/airport_services/banks/

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Of course there are ATMs there, indeed they are just about as common in St Petersburg these days as they are in the US.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

I'll call and riase you on # of ATMs in Russia (if not St. Petersburg) vs. US...I would say I am pretty sure there are way more ATM's per capita...Some of this has to with Russia still being a largely cash society...that is, not quite as much CC or debit card usage, no checks...which leaves cash.

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Well as I stared ATMs are quite common all over St Petersburg. As to whether they are used more by Russians or foreigners I can't say but you shouldn't have trouble locating one if you're in the tourist parts of the city.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Ok. This brings a question to my mind. What's the best way to get rubles? Can I assume an ATM, and does it matter which ATM?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

> What's the best way to get rubles? Can I assume an ATM

Yes.

> does it matter which ATM?

Not really. What matters is your own bank's policy towards foreign transactions and cash advances. Search this forum to find a number of discussions where some "good" banks have been mentioned.

And don't forget to notify your bank you're going to Russia - some of them have been known to freak out at the sight of an unexpected transaction from Russia and block the card suspecting fraud.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

The best exchange rate will be in currency exchange banks which are all over the city center. They are quite competitive with rates fluctuating almost hourly to reflect the ForeEx market rates.

Using an ATM means incurring foreign machine fees your bank imposes for using any ATM not owned by them. They will also settle the exchange at the worst rate of the day, all banks do that so if you have a good bank they might not charge you anything but most are in $3-4 range for out of country ATM usage.

The absolutely worst way to get any currency is the international exchange offices in international airports. Even between reserve currencies, the rates are essentially giving 30% of your money as a tip to the counter person, plus they charge high fees for even taking that 30%. The second worst exchange is getting it at your local bank before leaving.

My advice is to use an exchange bank for walking around money since the exchange rates are so good but large purchases should be done with credit cards, not debit, so you have some sort of recourse. Any charge less than 2000 rubles is better done with cash since the per transaction fees by your bank will be a higher portion of your total bill if the purchase is small.

You will see offices of CitiBank around the city and conclude they are In-System ATMs but the Russian division has only an ownership connection with the rest of the international brand CitiBank so there is no benefit in getting lower fees if your home country bank is Citibank.

I think it is easier to find a ATM when you need it in St Petersburg than in the US. I found that there were only 2, and one not working at a major city airport when I landed today in the US.

When I used them in the past, not often, I usually went to my bank to use their in-lobby machines. I use ATMs a lot more in Russia than I did in the US. Card use is higher in the US and Europe for purchases than Russia but ATM cash transactions are more common I believe, in St Petersburg because many people receive their wages via an debit card supplied by their employer instead of cash payments.

Personal checks are not used. Businesses use a form of checks to pay other businesses with which they have contracts or do bank to bank transfers via computer accounts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

Thank you!!!

9. Re: ATM's at Pulkovo 2 Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 08:15