We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

russian visa questions re invitation

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
russian visa questions re invitation

We (family of 6) are in Russia for 6 days next April (hopefully - visa permitting!). Planning to stay in apartment in St Petersburg first and then Hilton Moscow. Hilton can help us with visa (I guess that means issue "invitation") but we are staying in apartment in St P first. So should we get invitation from them? or from travel agent/ visa agency and nominate the 2 accommodation names when dealing with them? Once we have invitation then we appraoch Russian embassy / consulate with completed visa applications and "invitations", is that correct? Also one of the TA recommended visa agencies is American -Can anyone recommend an Australian one? Do I sound confused? You betcha!! Thanks for any help you can give on this.

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: russian visa questions re invitation

I've just put our visa applications into the Consulate in Sydney. The hotels in Moscow and St Petersburg knew exactly what I needed for myself and my son. The online application is easy (if not time consuming) to fill out - the only problem I had was that there was only space to put information for one of the letters of invitation. I attached all documentation from both hotels, copy of our itinerary and flight details with a bank cheque for both of us. Hopefully it is all in order - we should know in a week or so! Unfortunately the visa application fee is not cheap - especially when you have to pay for each application (even children!).

Na.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: russian visa questions re invitation

>>>Unfortunately the visa application fee is not cheap - especially when you have to pay for each application (even children!).

There isn't a standard fee for a Russian visa, the government just looks at what a particular country charges a Russian citizen for a visa to visit there and charges a similar amount for a Russian visa for the citizens of that country, I think Americans pay the most.

So if you are unhappy with the cost of the visa, you know who to blame.

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: russian visa questions re invitation

This thread has great information on it thank you.

I am travelling to Russia in 3 weeks, but wonder how you find out if a hotel or hostel is authorised to host?

A hostel I was looking at offers "visa support", does this mean it is authorised?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: russian visa questions re invitation

> I am travelling to Russia in 3 weeks, but wonder how you find out if a hotel or hostel is authorised to host?

Regardless of what some people like to say, no special authorization is required, some hotels are just too lazy to do extra paperwork.

15. Re: russian visa questions re invitation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:15