We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief trip report of St Petersburg in October

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Brief trip report of St Petersburg in October

I have just returned from what is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I was bowled over by the vast number of magnificent and grand buildings.

We were lucky with some lovely weather which allowed us to do what we enjoy best - walk the city. We covered a huge area and managed very easily ourselves with no need for a guide. Smolny, Peter and Paul, area around the Marinsky . . . We walked miles! We found the city well sign posted and street names have the roman letter equivalents on them which makes following a map very straight forward. Also, a quick look at the google maps app on the phone really helped with navigation too. We also used the metro which was a delight compared with London!

I feel quite lucky to visit in October. There was a definite sense of the main tourist 'cruise ship' time of year being over and consequently none of the sites were too busy and there was no hustle and bustle. We were very alert to street crime but didn't feel watched or approached or followed. Could the pickpocket gangs have moved on with the cruise tourists? We felt very safe. No queues anywhere! Not even when visiting the Hermitage.

We saw some amazing cathedrals, beautiful canals and bridges and just so much history.

When I told people we were going there was very much an expectation that one should have a 'guide'. We didn't and I don't think we needed one. I read a lot before we went and have a pretty good knowledge of the history. So much information was in English, eg the prison at Peter and Paul fortress.

This is a modern 'western' city and not one to be afraid of. I am slightly envious of those of you that live here!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief trip report of St Petersburg in October

Thank you for the report Itsonlyajob

You summed up why I moved here and why I love every day, even in the darkest winter. I often recommend early fall as the best time to come, mild weather, few lines, lower accommodation costs, more relaxed pace, easier to meet locals are getting their city back after a hectic summer etc. A visit in early October can be less than 1/2 the total price compared to White Nights early summer. Airfares drop, hotels are a lot lower and those are two major expenses in coming here.

One thing I notice is that people find a new place to be just like their own personality. Those who see crime or dirt around every corner or rude locals probably find that everywhere they go. Those who explore with an open mind and heart get to experience so much more and the people really do sense it if you are open and friendly and all doors open. If one is demanding and critical they will not have a good time and the locals will avoid them. We can sense it 50 meters away.

Glad you had a great time, the city no doubt enjoyed having you.

2. Re: Brief trip report of St Petersburg in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 10:16