We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

rsa
australia
Level Contributor
810 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

HI,

Looking at making a Booking of the 14th of July, 2013 on the fast train from St Petersburg to Helskinki.

Can it be pre booked online, and if so, which is the best website to do so.

Thought it would be a change to travel by rail, rather than plane. When I discovered the price of the Allegro train trip on Finn rail or the Russian site, I am now not sure what we should do..Airfares are reasonable, and can be booked easily online. Making a booking for the train is prooving to be a bit difficult.

Time is not a real factor, so what about fast bus service? Any thoughts

Looking forward to replies and kind advice.

Thanks RSA

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

The Allegro train is the best way to come - not even leaving your seat for customs/passport formalities. I would advise you to buy via www.vr.fi - on a shorter notice. They have got at least 3 trains a day.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Agree with veresch - take the train, book via vr.fi - comfortable, fast and easy ride. The airports in both cities are far away so it would take time to get there plus the time for security check etc. - not worth it. Fast bus - it would take about 6+ hours (bus is nothing special but with WC), there're two official bus companies serving the rout, no on-line reservation - have to come to their offices to buy the tickets (one way is about 40-45 euro).

Tilburg, The...
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Hi RSA

Well, I agree with others that a train ticket can be easily booked at VR site.

But, as you`ve reasonably mentioned, the trip is to take place in summer 2013, and in that cas you can get a much better deal for your direct flight than for a combination of your trip to Finland+a railway ticket to SPb. In case you book at least 2-3 months in advance, direct flight would be a better solution. Otherwise, Allegro is a great option (I have taken it a couple of times).

Regarding buses: as already mentioned, there are two companies, and there is a third one that will open the service since winter 2013. it is "Luxexpress" that is currently operatins between SPb and the Baltic states.

http://www.luxexpress.eu/en

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

I was just looking at the vr.fl website to make a train booking from St. Petersburg to Helsinki in July, but the system does not seem to allow bookings any farther ahead than May - anything farther out than that results in en error message. Is there a way to book now for a July trip?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Hi brachiopod,

in Russia you can by train tickets not longer than 45 days in advance. vr.fi web-site has this note "Tickets may be booked 60 days before the travel date at the earliest" for train tickets to Russia vr.fi/en/index/junaliput/russiantickets.html

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

As a conclusion: any agency advertising sales of railway tickets half a year in advance is a mild swindler (at best). They get your money - while actual tickets will be issued for them in a regular way - 45 days in advance...

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Same with ballet and theater tickets, there are no scheduled performances yet for many which are being sold far in advance.

8. Re: Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:15