We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please.

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rsa
australia
Level Contributor
777 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice please.

Hello,

We will be in St Petersbug for 4 nights (3 days) from the 10th of July, 2013, staying on Vasilyevsky Island . We will be arriving at the Airport at 14.05 PM, and would like to take a walk after checking into our hotel.I believe it is still very light until very late, so would like to make the most of it. Our flight is from Tallinn, so we should not be tired after the journey.

I have mapped out our proposed walk, and would appreciate comments with regard to time, route etc. Maybe it might be better to do it in reverse, and get back to the restaurant around 9.00 PM for dinner.

Day 1

Proposed walk.

Walk to the Neva river (5 minutes) and the Blagoveshehensky bridge and then turn right past the Acadamy of Arts .Continue to the Menshikov Palace, and onto the restaurants which overlook the Hermitage and Dvortsovy Bridge. Have dinner there , and then continue on our walk across the Dvortsovy Bridge to Palace Square,where Alexander column is sited. Walk through Admiralty Gardens, view St Isaac.s Cathedral on the left, and then walk towards the Neva and past the Bronze Horseman. From here, walk along Angliyskaya nab to Blagoveshehensky bridge, and back to Vasilyevsky.

Day2

WE plan to do the Hemitage the next day, and then go out to Peterhof or Catherines Palace, in the afternoon .Which one would be the best to do that day?

Day 3

The following day visit Peterhof or Catherines Palace, return to do some more city wondering around the Marlinisky theatre, Yusupov Palace, Bridge of lions Churh of the Silled Blood etc. and canal cruise

Day 4.

Depart to Helsinki

I look forward to any comments and thoughts about our proposed Itinerary.We cannot increase our stay here, as we will be heading back to Australia from Helsinki

Kindest Regards

RSA

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice please.

In July, observation platform at the top of St Isaac.s Cathedral may be open till very late. You might want to go up to see the skyline.

July 10th - daylite will be till very late. If you are good walkers - go along Nevsky/ This might be a nice walk also. Late channels boat tour could also be a good thing. Sounds tiring - but you come to St. Pete not to sleep, right? :)

For day 2 - you can do Peterhof on your own, IF there is no rain. Catherine's Palace seems beeter to me, but you are to have a tour - July is a peek season, and Amber Room in the Palace is so nice - but very small amount of private tourists get in due to a lot of tour groups. Depending on the tour time plan your Hermitage visit.

I'd rather pack more city into day one from day 3. Hermitage combines nicely with Petehof logistically - hydrofoils to Peterhof departs from the Hermitage, but that a) requires no rain and b) that could be a full day walking.

Consider Pavlovsk also. A nice huge palace and park. And be back for more - you are definitely missing Chinese palace in Oranienbaum :)

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice please.

Getting into either Peterhof Grand palace or Catherine's palace in high season without a pre-arranged voucher (non-available individually - only therough a company or a guide) might be a big problem - especially in Peterhof.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice please.

Your plan sounds nice. First evening walk looks quite logical. Besides you can always jump on the boat for the river cruise if your feet get tired.

After Hermitage you can take the hydrofoil and get to Peterhof. If you are on your own without a guide my suggestion is to skip the palace there and enjoy the gardens. Buy return ticket to the hydrofoil to save couple dollars.

Third day. Again if you are without a guide I personally don't recommend going to Catherine's palace. Instead I would suggest seeing more of the city - walk down Nevsky prospect to Anichkov bridge, turn left along Fontanka river, walk through the Summer Garden. Walk right and find pedestrian Solyanoj street with its Shtiglits museum of Applied Art and a very prestigious neighborhood of the city where each building is a piece of art. Visit Spilled Blood church for sure, St.Isaak's cathedral, walk passing Mariinksy theater to St.Nicolas church and feel the atmosphere of Kolomna district.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice please.

Hi there the catherine palace is a nightmare to visit if you are not on a tour so I would recommend you head to the corner fo Doumskaya and nevsky and look for the booth of a travel agent called Eclectika - they run english tours to the catherine palace daily except i believe tuesdays. I was there in June - it was packed solid but its a must do. the tours leaves at 2pm and you simply turn up 1/2 hour before. You will get back at about 7. Our guide alicia was a riot and was very informative about what we were seeing on the way to the palace which made it a great afternoon. Btw a few mins from the catherine palace is the Alexander palace which was the home of Tzar Nicholas. There are no problems visiting this palace - you dont need a tour. Peterhof is easy to do on your own. People mainly go there to see the fountains and you can buy a ticket just for the grounds. You can get there either by metro and mini bus or with the hydrofoil. The Yussopov palace and St Isaacs are close to each other and the Marinsky theatre is not far from here either. Do try and get tickets for a peformance in the evening - the theatre is amazing. If you want to see the basement where they murdered rasputin this is only possible at certain times of the day - you will see the details outside if this is something you really want to see. In any case the palace itself is worth seeing. You may also want to consdier a walking tour - I did one with Peters walking tours http://www.peterswalk.com/ and it finishes by the hermitage at about 1pm which is useful as I was then in time to do the two hour english tour of the hermitage which was at 1.30. This is worth doing as the place is huge. Another recommendation is the peter and paul fortress - the cathedral has the burial vaults of the Romanov tzars and also a chapel dedicated to tzar nicholas and his murdered family. It was very poignant. If you go to the cathedral of the spilled blood then do look for the market which is opposite and has lots of really good souvenirs.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

5. Re: Itinerary advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:16