We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

What would one recommend on a budget in what I expect to be a wonderful city?

I would like to point out I'm vegetarian and open-minded about what I see. Also would love to see the ballet but within budget!

Thanks in advance!

Alla Tours
Sightseeing Tours
SPB Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
TJ Travel
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Insider Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
1. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 20:17
St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

Look for hostels and mini-hotels like Nevsky Inn and others for the budget stay. You won't spend much time in your room so make sure it is clean and you stay somewhere in the city center.

Walk everywhere and use the local public transport like bus, trolley or metro. One-way trip costs 25-28 Rubles.

Enjoy so-called Business-lunch that most restaurants and cafes offer at a very good price - 150- 300 Rubles. It is usually full meal - salad, soup, main course and drinks.

Visit active churches such as Kazansky on Nevsky prospect, Vladimirsky, St.Nicolas - they are beautiful and entrance is free of charge.

Buy the cheapest tickets to the third balcony in Mariinsky Theater, rent the binocular in the theater and enjoy the ballet.

Buy some fruits and vegetables in the nearest supermarket and eat in the room instead of eating in the restaurant in the evening.

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

For the ballet book on line, I've forgotten how far in advance they go on sale but one of the experts will tell you for sure, it's dealing direct with the theatre and therefore no astronomical mark up from a third party. It's easy to do, if a technophobe like me can do it I am sure you can. A great city and the ballet is wonderful. Have a fantastic time!

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

In fact if you look at the box on the the right, near the top of this page, you will see FAQs on the ballet and all the info you need!

5. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 16:35
England
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

As Eugenia mentions the metro is cheap at around 60p per journey and you could easily spend half a day metro surfing just exploring the metro stations which are truly spectacular and a tourist attraction in their own right. Just buy one ticket and you can visit a number of stations on various lines, definately a budget option if the weather outside is not great.

A good food option for something quick, simple and delicious for lunch are the pies at Stolle (www.stolle.ru, see the fantastic reviews on trip advisor). I cannot comment on the variety of vegetarian pies on offer being a carnivore myself but can definately recommend the seasonal berry desert pies.

For the ballet we went to the Mikhailovsky theatre, although not as well known as the Mariinsky the tickets were much cheaper (£40 compared to £90, although I am not sure if these were like for like just the cheapest options for the days we were there). We loved the ballet and found the theatre to be nicely atmospheric. Afterwards splashed out on the dearest hot chocolate ever (£6) in the cafe at the singer building on the main street Nevesky Prospect, I know this does not come under the budget option but it was worth the cost for the fantastic location, and it was the best hot chocolate I have ever had.

For cheap drinks options buy a bottle of either Beluga or Kremlin Award vodka from the supermarket (around £12-£15 for half litre) soooo much better than even the "premium" vodkas you get in the UK. Have this as your nightcap in the room instead of paying around £6-£8 for a shot of inferior vodka in the bars.

St Petersburg is wonderful, enjoy.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

Re: metro - 60 rubles per journey...it is as stated "25-28" rubles per trip, defined in my mind as "each time you fully LEAVE the Metro, which then means yes you can see bunches of Metro stations on a single "trip/ride" as long as you do not exit the station...

Not sure this was clear in the post above...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

I'm sure he meant 60 PENCE a journey.

St. Petersburg...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

As for the budget accommodation. When looking for something really cheap, don't forget to think about quality and safety. You don't always get what you pay for. In St.Petersburg there are numerous really good mini hotels and hostels like Nevsky hotels (hon.ru) or Friends hostel (en.friendsplace.ru) as well as numerous basic & disgusting (frankly speaking) places like Atmo hostel or Ra hotels - but! the rates are almost the same! So be careful, while booking!

Edited: 05 February 2013, 17:14
10. Re: 3 nights in St Petersburg as a first time Russia tourist!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 07:17