We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

Hello all,

I am working on developing a two day itinerary for a group tour in SPB this August. We are trying to avoid rushing from site to site, and concentrating on enjoying what we want to see.

Does the following seem logical, feasible, and worthwhile? Are we missing something nearby that is of value?

We will be using SPbTours or similar, so we will be able to bypass ticket lines and entrance queues.

Day One (Friday)

10:30 - 14:30 Peterhof Palace and grounds (lunch on site)

15:00 - 17:00 Walk and shop on Nevsky Prospect

17:00 - 18:00 Church of the Spilled Blood

Return to ship

Day Two (Saturday)

9:30 - 13:30 Hermitage Museum (lunch on site)

14:00 - 17:00 Botanical Garden of SPB (greenhouses only open on Saturday)

Return to Ship

We would also welcome suggestions for Friday evening.

I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

Thanks

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

Two main entertainments in the evening: folklore show "Feel yourself Russian" - quite colourful and , yes, touristy - as well as ballet options are, specially designed for cruise passengers (numerous Swan Lakes - some 3-4 of them quite possible).

About beating lines: please remember that you will not be the only group with such plans. I do not know your days - hence can not predict exact amount of cruise passengers in town - but they are all coming with these ideas... Early entrance into the Hermitage - one of those tricks: they do not open this museum specially for you - but for some 50 groups more...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

>>Botanical Garden of SPB (greenhouses only open on Saturday)

do you have a special interest? I mean the gardens are nice but not more than that... Unless you have a special interest (if you're in the science or smth) I wouldn't bother going there. And again, the closest metro station "Petrogradskaya" would be still closed in August.

on the other hand, you're missing places like St.Isaak's cathedral, Kazan cathedral, Summer Garden, Peter&Paul fortress, canal boat tour...to name a few...

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

I like your plan. It is relaxed. I would suggest going back from Peterhof by the hydrofoil. Another nice park is well-known Summer Garden of Peter the Great located near Spilled Blood church. Include it into your city walk.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

Unless you're a botanist, why would you wan to see Botanical Gardens in the City that has museums around every corner? Try a private river boat tour to see a variety of sites, and you can hop off anywhere they dock to get a closer look.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

I don't think the Church of Spilled Blood will take an hour to visit. Maybe shave a half hour off of it and add in St. Issac's? My tour operator has both scheduled for a half hour each.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

>>I don't think the Church of Spilled Blood will take an hour to visit.

it depends on your interests and on your pace and how a guide "presents" you a place... One can spend hours looking at every little detail etc.

7. Re: Proposed Itinerary For Two days in SPB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:16