We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment or hotel with car parking

Bodo, Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment or hotel with car parking

My family is planning a 3 day stay in St. Petersburg in the beginning of July. We are driving from Riga, and need a place, hotel or apartment, with available car parking. We are 5 people: Two adults, and three kids (8, 11, 13). Any suggestions will be appreciated, but should be close to the attractions in the city. We do not intend to use the car inside the city... And if possible I would also appreciate comments on which route to choose from Riga to St. Petersburg. The option is either via border Narva in Estonia or via border Luhamaa and Pskov.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
8 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment or hotel with car parking

Kempinsky has it's own underground garage, they will let you park there. There's parking in front of the Astoria/Angleterre, the W, the Taleon, and hotel people will clear out a spot for you if you can't find one on the street yourself (first hand knowledge). I wouldn't recommend anything along Nevsky, as there is no parking (or even stopping) allowed there. There's street parking in front of most hotels, but it could be a hit and miss, but most of the better hotels would get a spot cleared for you.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment or hotel with car parking

An apartment would be by far less expensive than a suite in a hotel and offer more room for 5 people. You would likely save $500-1000 a night. Apartments in the center are either on side streets where there is street parking or where there is courtyard entry and parking so that will probably be better for access to the car also. Most apartment agencies in the city have apartments within walking distance of most of the points of interest. Try City Realty cityrealtyrussia.com/st-petersburg-apartment…

or another I have used many times for visitors looking for the best bargains: Irina at http://www.introbyirina.com/ I leased my own long term apartment through her. I have known her since 1998 and her family.

If you have not entered Russia before with a car, be sure to have all the documents in order, including insurance that covers Russia, and the title in your name. The Estonia border can cause long days for trucks(days) but not too bad for passenger cars.

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Bodo, Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment or hotel with car parking

Thanks for the replies! I think an apartment would be best for us when we are coming to St. Petersburg. I am now trying to find an apartment downtown close to the tourist attractions. I have pretty much gained control of what kind of formal documents, e.g passports, vica, car insurance etc, that is needed to enter Russia. And I have also found out that it is best to cross the border at Narva, north in Estonia.

The only thing i feel a little unsure about is the traffic and what will meet us when entering St Petersburg. What can I expect? Is the traffic culture so bad as some people say? Or is it highly exaggerated? I assume that we will be coming to St. Petersburg on a Sunday afternoon in July, and leave on a wednesday about noon. It can't be that bad?

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
4. Re: Apartment or hotel with car parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:16