We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Hi,

I've always wanted to go Russia and very glad that this dream is coming true. :) I will be arriving into St. Petersburg in early June and thinking of doing Pushkin and Peterhof on my own. From my reading, I can take a train from St. Petersburg's Vitebskiy station to the Detskoe Selo station in Pushkin. The trains run at 15-20 minute intervals starting at 6:00am ( there is no train service between 10:00am and 12:00 noon on weekdays). This look pretty straight forward.

I initially planned to do the Catherine Palace in the morning and thereafter to Peterhof. However, I think the palace is only open to individuals during limited hours: 12:00 to 2:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:00pm. Therefore I guess I have to reverse my plan.

Below are my questions and hope someone can help me to answer :)

1) What is the best way and best mode of transport to Peterhof? hydrofoil, train or bus?

2) How do I get to Pushkin from Peterhof?

3) Can I purchase entrance tickets for these 2 places in advance? Catherine Palace (including amber room) and fountain & gardens of Peterhof

4) Is Pushkin far from the train station (need to take train back to St. Petersburg)

5) I dont speak Russian, would it be difficult to travel on my own? I plan to get the hostel to write places that I wish to go and some words in Russian on a piece of paper to facilitate communication

Many thanks in advance. :)

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Pushkin
Pushkin
Pushkinsky District, Russia
Peterhof
Peterhof
Petrodvortsovy District, Russia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Or should I do these in 2 days?

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

I don't think those two places are doable in one day, particularly on the trains. They are in generally opposite directions and the trip out to Pushkin is an hour or more endeavor from the city center each way. The walk from the train station to the palace is another fairly long distance. Even with an early start (I don't think Catherine Palace opens until late morning), you would be pushing 2 pm before you finished Pushkin and started for Peterhof. Maybe in a private car but even then traffic is nightmarish in the region between those two destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Pushkin
Pushkin
Peterhof
Peterhof
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

If you're staying downtown, take a hydrofoil to Peterhof in the morning, spend half a day there, and then head out to Pushkin in the afternoon. Best to take a taxi there, it's actually not that far (one is SW of the City center, the other South), about a 30 min drive. You'll have plenty of time to explore the Palace and Gardens. Of course, if you like to go in a leisurely way and explore, you can always spend a full day at each one.

Mentioned in this post
Peterhof
Peterhof
Pushkin
Pushkin
Pavlovsk Palace and Park
Pavlovsk Palace and Park
1,107 Reviews
Pavlovsk, Russia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Thanks everyone. :)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

I'd take two days.

Each park wil take 2-3 hours (!without visting Palaces), + plan 2 hrs for transfer between them.

Also note that fountains in Peterghoff are closed at 4PM (if i'm not mistaken).

and huge queue in to the Palace in Pushkin.

If the objective is just "check point" - you can try, but you won't enjoy it.

BTW the trains is not a good option, small buses ("marshrutka") will be faster .

Edited: 09 April 2013, 09:36
Mentioned in this post
Pushkin
Pushkin
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Thanks evgeny. :)

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

This summer Catherine's palace is open for individual visitors 12.00 - 16.00 daily except for Tuesday and last Monday of the month.

Peterhof Fountains are turned off at 18.00

Best way to get to Catherine's palace is to take a bus or minibus from Moskovskaya subway station (the bus stop is behind grand Lenin statue). Buses stop very close to the Palace while the train station is quite far.

Tsarskoje Selo is not only Catherine's palace. It is also beautiful park, another Alexander's palace, Royal carriages exhibition, Hermitage pavillion. There is another palace - Pavlovsk near by.

There is no transportation between Peterhof and Catherine's palace.

Peterhof is again worth a good day trip. It is not only park but lots of smaller palaces, it is a private cottage of Nicolas I, Monplaisir, Royal Bath house and so on.

Mentioned in this post
Peterhof
Peterhof
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Thanks Eugenia_Kempinsky, :) would you suggest me to book ticket in advance?

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Peterhof. Park and smaller museums tickets are available at the ticket boxes, line is short and quick.

Hydrofoil tickets. Come at 10.00 and buy them from the ticket box at the pier. Buy return ticket and save some 100 rubles.

Tsarskoe Selo. Advance tickets are only valid for people with the tour guide, so you shall just come, stay in line and buy them as everybody else.

Mentioned in this post
Peterhof
Peterhof
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Pushkin and Peterhof on my own in 1 day?

Thanks! very detailed! :)