We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

Hello all,

My partner and I have a planned trip to Russia in May and I am presently trying to get our Visa sorted out.

We are intending to fly in to St Petersburg, stay a few days, then board a sleeper train to Moscow and exiting Russia from there.

I haven't done too well so far, on our first visit to the VFS centre in London we were advised that our invitation voucher needed to include all of our destinations in Russia, not just the first one. I had the exit date correct, it just didnt cover us for our second destination (Moscow).

I have contacted the voucher issuer (our hotel in St Petersburg), and requested Moscow be added to the voucher.

My first question is this: Should I be approaching our Moscow Hotel for a separate voucher? Or persist with trying to get Moscow as a listed destination on the voucher our St Petersburg Hotel has issued us?

Im tempted to just pay some money and get a same day service invitation with both destinations from russian-visas.com or whatever and forget the correspondence.

My second question regards the sleeper train. Aside from train tickets, do I need any backup documentation? Would there be an issue here?

Obviously this is our 1st visit to Russia and I don't want to mess this up further.

Time is becoming a factor now and Im getting a bit stressed out.

Any help appreciated.

Matthew

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

First of all Matthew - don't warry you will be fine in Russia!

And regarding your voucher - you have to have all destinations in your voucher with info about the places where you gonna live. But you don't need separate voucher from Moscow hotel if you will have all info in one voucher. But your hotel in St Petersburg I guess will not make this changes for you. So just pay some money to service company and they will do it for you (fast I think). But the price of course depend on the company which will do it. But it should't be more then 25 euro (for less then 15 days)

Regarding overnight train - what do you mean? You already have tickets or not? You will need your ticket (if you didn't make registration on-line) and passport that's it.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

Yes we have the train tickets already, I was just worrying that it would look like a gap in our itinerary...don't want any trouble.

Thanks for the response. I think I will give the St Petersburg Hotel another day to get back to me, and if not, Ill go the online voucher route.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

Hi Matthew - stop stressing, it will be fine.

:)

Your St Petersburg hotel can only issue visa support for your stay there, not for your Moscow stay. For that, you'll have to ask your Moscow hotel - or buy visa support online, in which case you may as well get it to cover your entire stay in Russia (shop around, there are quite a few recommendations for this on the forums and the prices can vary).

As far as the train goes, when you provide itinerary information for your visa application, just say that you'll be travelling overnight from St Petersburg to Moscow on train number 001 (or whatever it is). If you have tickets, include a copy of those. That should suffice.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

The hotel we booked in St. Petersburg offered us visa support for a stay extending beyond our stay at the hotel, for a fee of 20€. We are only going to St. Petersburg so we haven't tried this, but it seems to me to be the easiest and cheapest solution if you are visiting several places. The hotels are obviously able to give you extended visa support if they want to.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

>>The hotels are obviously able to give you extended visa support if they want to.<<

I didn't think that they could, legally? (Happy to be proved wrong!)

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

Thanks - The St Petersburg Hotel I have been dealing with was happy to extend the dates on the voucher to cover our full itinerary, but for some reason has been unwilling or unable to add Moscow as a second destination.

I havent heard anything for a couple of days now, so I think we will go with the online service option - realrussia.co.uk seem good.

Appreciate the responses, nice to be reassured.

Matthew

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

> The St Petersburg Hotel I have been dealing with was happy to extend the dates on the voucher to cover our full itinerary, but for some reason has been unwilling or unable to add Moscow as a second destination.

This is ok, the visa you get is for the whole of Russia, not for specific city(-ies). I would go for it.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

> I didn't think that they could, legally? (Happy to be proved wrong!)

Well, the whole concept of "legally" has turned into a farce here. A host of companies sell those invitations online to anyone willing to part with $20, and thousands of people buy them and succesfully get their visas. Everyone understands it's just a piece of paper not legally binding neither party to do anything. Even hotels turn to MBT registered travel companies to obtain those papers; do you think the companies selling invitations online for any dates to anyone and their cat would demand the hotel to present proof that this customer really has a booking covering all dates requested?

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

I wish you were right, but I am afraid this wasnt the case at the Visa application centre - the advisor (nice lady as it happens) looked over our documents and immediately informed us that there would be a problem due to Moscow not being on the voucher.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Invitation "Voucher" Queries...

Of course she would say that - why would you even mention Moscow when only submitting docs from the St.Pete hotel?