We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

SoCal
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

I plan to take a train (the Allegro?) from St. Petersburg to Helsinki on a Friday. My questions are:

Can I book this through the Finland rail (as opposed to Russian rail) website?

Which train station do I start from in St. Petersburg? The Finland website lists two.

I would prefer to wait until I'm in St. P. to book, probably the day before. Do the trains usually have seats the day before?

I've searched the forums but most posts assume a start in Helsinki and use of the Russia train website. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

If you can book your tix from Vr.fi - why not? If they sell it to Helsinki, and you can print them - it is valid. Station to Helsinki for Allegro is Finlyandskiy. Usually they have seats the day before, but youi can monitor the availiability at least at www.rzd.ru Looking at May 4th now, I see nearly sellout (2 seats left) for the morning departure, and plenty of seats for later departures.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
2. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 13:35
SoCal
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

Thanks, Vasily, for the helpful post. It was not easy to book (or even search) when I did not know the name of the station.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 21:15
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

Hi l stupidly paid $171 for a train ticket from www.russiantrains.com when l could have bought it from the official russian train sight for $68. Don't be fooled by these US sites selling train tickets!

5. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:05
6. Re: Train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:18