We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets in St Petersburg

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, England
Level Contributor
66 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets in St Petersburg

Just returned from an art tour which was really marred by the amount of pickpockets. 20% of our group had cards/money stolen. Peterhof was the worst, and I think my purse was stolen from a bag at my waist while I was taking a photo!

(My theft was an organised gang as within minutes of the 'theft' they were online and bought £7,500.00 of electrical items)

So do be careful!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

20% ???? I know about pickpockets but 20% seem so high. All 20% at the same time or were not warned?

Edited: 23 May 2013, 17:39
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

Could you call your bank and block your card "within minutes"? It is what I did when my card was stollen in Barcelona.

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

You have to know it's been stolen first before you can report it.

I just surprised the banks anti fraud systems didn't block the transactions when they started mounting up in such a short space of time.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

These guys must be real pros at what they do. What can I say - they cannot steal what's not there so carry a minimum of cash and an ATM card which cannot be used w/o a PIN. That's all I carry in places such as this.

At least it is not as bad as South America where they kidnap you at gunpoint and drive from ATM to ATM and hopefully let you go alive.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

<You have to know it's been stolen first before you can report it.>

Of course. My card was stolen in Barcelona and I was "lucky" to discover it just minutes after the card disappeared and called the bank immediately and the same minute I reported the incident the card was blocked by the bank. I still have doubts about 20%. I am very sorry this is just my peronal subjective reaction.

It is wise to do what Vladchan advised i.e carry a small amount of cash and a pin-protected card

Edited: 23 May 2013, 18:22
Oxford, England
Level Contributor
66 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

Sorry - it was 10% not 20%.

The bank was shocked that the authoristation for the payments had been made as according to the Fraud Dept 'it was an obvious fraud' - so lucky for me they refunded the money.

Peterhof no longer has the 'military' police operating there - they just have private security.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

My mother had her purse stolen out if an unlocked car while she was pumping gas at a gas station in Florida the other day. I think it's just common sense that you people realize that any city with a large tourist influx is a ripe operating grounds for thieves, so instead of becoming another statistic in that, you should exercise precaution while traveling, regardless of where it is on this planet. Or else, stay home.

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

Well there you have it Flower, apparently it was all your own fault..................

Incidentally, didn't your your tour guide warn you about this sort of thing?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

<Well there you have it Flower, apparently it was all your own fault..................>

It really can happen with anyone of us anywhere in the world...even if we have been warned about pickpockets in advance. But you are right, if you know it might happen you would be more careful. I have also had similar lessons to learn. Take care.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 09:59
Canton
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pickpockets in St Petersburg

How many people were in your art group? 10% of what number of people?