We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

vermont
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

We are traveling to St.Petersburg with our adult childern in July.At times we will be seperated and need to meet up and set more plans.Can anyone suggest how they went about calling while on vacation.I know you can have International calling on our Verizon but that is expensive.Are there Trac-phones where you can buy minutes?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

Many people buy local SIM cards on arrival. You will find tons of info if you search the forum.

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

Verizon phones don't always have the option to fit a SIM card, a couple of cheap second phones with Russian SIM cards might be the best option.

You can add credit to a Russian SIM card very easily in Russia

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

I have no economic interest in ATT, but you can use your phone in Russia for texting and calls...the rates aren't bad...50 cents a text...you have to ask for "Standard international roaming"...for calls and texts..the service setup is free the calls and texts aren't. Then add some data roaming for 30 dollars a month (minimum 1 month 30 dollars gives you 120 MB of data...use wifi when you can. Use "whats app" and "Skype" and you are in business!

vermont
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

Yeah,but I'm Verizon does ATT have a trac-phone I can buy here and use there?I am sorry to be a bit confused.I don't want to call the States just my kids as we are in St. Pete for a week.

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

my advice is to buy 2 "unlocked" sim card ready old used I- phones (Amazon is one source) and buy a sim card for them in Russia...there are cell phone places on every corner...make sure when you buy the simcard that you have phone,text, and data plan. The reason I recommend I phone is that the Google map on the I phone has English and Cyrillic on it! Also you can locate yourself on the phones map, put in a destination and it will tell you how to walk there or take public transportation...like what bus line! We just got back from St Petersburg and my I phone was an invaluable tool.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

You need a "4 band unlocked GSM phone". Look on Ebay or Amazon

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

Make sure when you buy 2 "unlocked" old used phones from Amazon that they operate the same frequencies as in Russia. Alternatively, you can buy cheap phones in Russia as soon as you arrive. The cheapest phone I saw was for only about $23 (e.g. Fly DS103, Samsung GT-E1080, Nokia 1280 and many other in the same price range). When you buy Russian SIM cards choose a prepaid plan that will allow free or cheap mobile-to-mobile calls (e.g. Super MTS plan from MTS provider "Тариф Супер МТС").

Edited: 13 June 2013, 14:13
Fontana, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

Before my return visit to St Petersburg last month I purchased a new quad band unlocked GSM phone for $30 (Walmart). When I arrived at Pulkovo I purchased a SIM card at Evroset. They sold me and installed a Megafon SIM for 200R, it came with a 200R credit with a tariff of 1.1 ruble per minute for local calls. For international calls back to the US I used my tablet (magic jack app/skype).

ankara
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

after obtaining a sim card and putting it in phone, how to buy from sim card provider, an advantageous internet usage or calls to local or abroad, because our rubles in card may get spent unfortunately in short time with standard tariff, just like in our own country, sim card providers offer many campaigns, at least in my country it is :) thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone usage..what do visitors do?

You can top up your account with cash using one of gazillion payment kiosks which are virtually everywhere or with your credit card, either online or using any ATM.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 05:03