We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

We are visiting St Petersburg just for 2 days in July. COuld anyone tell me which is better to see Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines: I have read that the former is much less visited than the latter and some say it is better? Any other hints how to maximise our brief visit welcome

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

I dint go to the pavlovsk so i can only tell you that the Catherine Palace is absolutely breathtaking both inside and out. You can only visit (easily anyway) as part of a guided tour. You will see some dresses of Catherine the great and apprently she had hundreds (lucky girl) and the amber room defies definition, although take into account all the amber was taken out for safekeeping during the second world war after which it was never found again so they literally had to build it from scratch. I know its touristy and everyone goes there but once you see it you will see why.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

2. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 17:00
Edited: 16 June 2013, 17:00
3. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 17:05
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

angietravels1 wrote:..."dint go to the pavlovsk so i can only tell you that the Catherine Palace is absolutely breathtaking both inside and out. You can only visit (easily anyway) as part of a guided tour."

This is not true. Individual tourists can visit the Catherine Palace. http://eng.tzar.ru/info/price#catherinepalace

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

Yes thats right but most people do it as a tour as its much easier. I understood that if you do it as an individual you have to arrive in the morning and purchase a ticket adn then return to the entrance at 12pm where a guide is then allocated to take all the individuals around the palace. I also understood that the guided tour for the individuals was only in Russian, When i went we all had to get into a long line with our guides and slowly slowly they let each group in. Of course i was there in june which was peak season, I took a tour from eklectica who have daily tours at 2pm everyday - there was no need to book in advance, just turn up 1/2 hour before.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

Thank you for your report. I was there about a year ago and it was very easy for an individual to visit the Catherine palace. That time I did not need to buy a ticket in the morning and then return after 12pm...I also was not required to meet a guide. May be things have changes since my last visit...Good to know.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

susan,

Have a look at the videos and comments by ThePastyMan of St Ives, Cornwall, in post #3 of this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k4006…

He does such a good job researching his trips, filming and creating beautiful videos to share. Perhaps it will help you decide what to see. Our upcoming visit is short (and has become even shorter, due to a flight change by Finn Air). We decided to use a private guide for the Catherine Palace (in order to see the Amber Room and amber workshop). Other than that, we will be sightseeing on our own.

In this thread, some TA members choose their favourite palaces and give reasons for their choice. Hope it helps you too.

tripadvisor.com/…27172546

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
200 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

I was at Catherine's Palace in late May 2013 without a guided tour. We considered a tour but wanted to go earlier than the 2 pm departure that we could find in English. We did not have to buy a ticket in the morning and return at noon. The individual visitors entrance is in the gardens and we lined up at noon. We purchased tickets after we entered the palace. We rented audio guides for the tour inside which was very comprehensive. There were a fair number of groups that came into the same entrance that we did and their tour was much shorter than the audiogude. They passed us in a number of rooms and we did not always complete listening before we moved on to the next room.

We found it was quite easy to do on our own. We took the metro and the bus to get to the palace as directed on the website for the palace. See the link that Vlad provided in #4 above.

We did not go to Pavlovsk Palace. The descriptions that I read before going led me to believe that was more about the park. It sounds like a lovely park that is very popular with the locals for getting away from the city. I would love liked to rent bikes to ride around the park there but we were short on time. Search the forum for Pavlovsk and you will find many comments from locals about it.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

thank you so much for this very comprehensive advice, If you have any other tips on how to maximise a very brief trip whilst trying to minimise costs and do as much on ones own I would be hugely grateful

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pavlovsk Palace and Park or st catherines

Thank you for your help. Who are eklectica and how do we go about booking with them?