We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 1

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
325 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 1

Our KLM flight arrived on time, but we spent 1 1/2 hours in line for passport clearance - not sure why our line moved so much slower than the one next to us, but one poor guy was in there for over 30 minutes. I overheard folks being asked to name all the airports they had just flown from, but we switched to a different line at the last minute and were quickly sent through by a nice young lady who didn't ask us any questions. Luckily the nice air conditioned Mercedes our hotel sent for us waited patiently. I was so relieved to see that sign with my name on it! BTW - everyone is right - only passport clearance has a long wait - the green light for customs is just a walk through if you have nothing to declare.

Love our hotel - Corinthia Hotel on Nevsky Prospect. Our driver answered all of our questions about St Petersburg, his life and all the statues we passed with a smile! At checkin we received glasses of champagne, juice and water. Our room has a nice view and we love the cute little bed they set up for our girl! Rather jet lagged after 2 days on planes, so a hot bath and bed time were the thing for me!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 1

CarsonsMommy,

After reading your comment about the long wait at passport clearance, I was all ready to hurry up and wait too. Imagine my surprise when it took only 2 minutes to get through! Luggage was already on the conveyor belt and our driver had my name on a sign. Our flight landed at 11:25 am from Helsinki and at 12 pm, we were already whizzing down Moscow blvd.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
325 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Great! So glad it was a breeze for you! We had dinner with a friend the other night who arrived the same time we did, and said they held her for 30 minutes - the lady would not approve her passport because she had a different hair style than she wore in her passport photo. She called a supervisor who looked at our friend, then her passport, then told the lady to let her through. So she called another supervisor who also told her to let her through. Our friend is not sure what made the lady take such a dislike to her, but said that when she finally stamped her passport it was with both hands and an unhappy look on her face. So I guess it's just the luck of the draw? My experience was also a good one - a very nice lady who let my daughter come with me and approved us and quickly let us through. I did not know the man in our line who got held for over 30 minutes (my husband thinks it was more like 45), so I don't know why his took so long.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Some of these passport ppl are new to the job or just like putting everyone under microscope others just wave everyone thru. Be ready to switch lines.

4. Re: Trip Report Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:16