We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

Family of 4 will be in SPb for a week, Thursday to Thursday. I'm trying to map out a tentative day-by-day division of what to see when. (I know that life is what happens when you've made other plans, but I still like to plan.) I'll be careful about checking what's open on what days, but I'm asking a more subtle question: to avoid crowds and otherwise make the best use of our time, what's best done on weekdays, and what can safely be left for weekends? I'm GUESSING that if we plan on seeing Peterhof, the Peter & Paul Fortress, and the Aurora, then we should plan on seeing those sights on weekdays, because they're the kind of attraction for which locals add to weekend crowds. Same for a canal cruise. And I'm GUESSING that the Hermitage doesn't vary as much from working to weekend days, so we can plan on one of our two likely visits for the weekend. But are my guesses right, and does anyone have tips along those lines?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

>>Peterhof, the Peter & Paul Fortress, and the Aurora, then we should plan on seeing those sights on weekdays,

Peterhof is definitely better on weekdays.

Peter&Paul fortress..I'm not sure. The fortress grounds are free to enter any day and I don't recall seeing lines to get into the cathedral (though it might've changed).

Aurora is not as much popular any more and I think it has more organized groups than individual visitors...

>>Same for a canal cruise

there are sooo many departure points around whole city that it's not a problem at all unless you want specific company/route

>>the Hermitage doesn't vary as much from working to weekend days,

locals try to get away from the city on the summer weekends (beach, dachas etc) so you have mainly tourists and guests visiting all the museums. Another point, most individual tourists as well as the organized groups try to get there as early as possible in the morning. So by the midday majority of them are gone. Especially on Wednesdays when the museum is open till 21:00 (9 pm)

If you plan to visit Catherine's palace in Pushkin also try to do in on the weekdays

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

Thanks.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

I try to avoid Hermitage on Sunday and Tuesday and Peterhof over the weekend. Actually Monday is the best day for Peterhof if you don't plan to visit the Grand Palace there.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

Is it true that is free entrance to Hermitage on Tuesdays?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

> Is it true that is free entrance to Hermitage on Tuesdays?

What does the Hermitage web site say?

hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/02/hm2_1_0.html

It says: "The first Thursday of each month is a day for free entrance to the museum for all individual visitors".

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

And how about citi card from page http://www.petersburgcard.com.

A lot of information doesn't translate on english.

Is transportation around the city is free with no limits?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

>>Is transportation around the city is free with no limits?

Russian version has this "При совершении поездки с карты списывается ресурс в размере установленной стоимости поездки для данного вида транспорта." which is "when you use this card the regular fare for the corresponding means of transportation is subtracted from your card"...

Before you decide to get this "city card", please do read very carefully about it and do you math if it's really worth is. This card been around for a few years but it's not as good and as popular as the same cards in Europe.It's not widely supported by major tourist attractions etc.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

This card is good for me, because I'd like to use a lot of free entrance that it allows. For example bus Hop on Hop Off and cruises along the canals or Neva. But I read on some website that the card is only 100 rubles.

So what then would you suggest as a transport ticket for 3-5 days?

Thank you very much for your help

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

> But I read on some website that the card is only 100 rubles.

Stop reading that website. It starts from 1800 rubles for two days. You won't be able to visit enough attractions in two days to make it worthwhile.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning SPb week: weekdays vs. weekend

LeninPB, obviously you have an official web-site link and didn't look it up? If you did you would see price info www.petersburgcard.com/eng/about-card/price (and yes it's in English - no excuses!) Where did this "100 rubles" come from? There are no such prices in Russia for the last.....mmmm....5-7 years?

>>as a transport ticket for 3-5 days?

as always, it really depends on how extensive you're going to use public transport. Anyway, all the choices are here

translate.google.com/translate… (and if it doesn't open, here's a link in Russian - use google to translate http://www.metro.spb.ru/pricetickets.html )