We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

I'm hoping to leave for St. Petersburg by Sept.18 and was hoping someone would be kind enough to recommend a visa processing agency that works with the DC consulate, is reliable, quick, and **relatively** inexpensive. I randomly found a site that lists a few of the visa processing agencies, but I'm hoping someone who has personal experience with an agency can recommend one or tell me which one(s) to stay away from. (See Ref. 2).

Also for anyone who might be reading this and thinking I should just go to the consulate directly, it appears now the rule, at least in DC, is that you have to either appear in person for an interview if you want to apply directly or otherwise go through a visa processing agency. (See Ref.2). DC is 12 hours away from me so appearing in person isn't possible.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

P.S. sorry for the re-posting but I realized this forum seemed more active than the general Russian forum.

Ref.1:

http://usa.russianvisa.net/ (Randomly found list of visa processing agencies. I have no idea if they are good or bad).

Ref.2:

."Effective Monday, July 1, 2013 prior to submitting your visa application to Russian consulate you must make an appointment on the following web-site. For applying directly you are required to appear in person for a visa interview at the Consular Division from 9 a.m. till 12.15 p.m."

russianembassy.org/page/important-visa-infor…

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

Anyone?

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

I also noticed that most agencies are saying it's $170 for a single entry visa when the consulate says $140. Has anyone succeeded in getting the agency to lower its price?

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

The actual cost of the visa is $140 but the agencies need to add on the ILS processing fee of $30. You can apply directly yourself at least some of the Russian consulates, but you will be required to attend an interview in person at the consulate.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 20:38
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
341 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

I have used Just In Documents Service, based in NY State more than once, for different countries. (I am currently awaiting the return of my passport with Russian visa.) They are not a bargain, but they have been reliable. You can used them for a comparison.

justindocument.com/visa_files/Visa_Russia.htm

Pricing: http://www.justindocument.com/pricing.htm

Just In submits to NY consulate. (I am assuming you have no reason for specifying "DC" other than to indicate you need a US consulate.)

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

Thanks all!!

About the specifying the DC Consulate, a few things I read seemed to indicate that the agency has to have a relationship w/ the specific geographical consulate which has jurisdiction over your visa. Maybe I am wrong.

DC is my consulate of jurisdiction but it's too far for me to interview.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

As I responded on the Moscow forum, and provided the reference, the DC consulate says you need to show up for interview if you apply directly. BUT, if you use their advocated middleman, ILS, you can mail all stuff into them and unless there is something highly unusual, you will NOT be required to go through formal interview. Note that ILS is NOT a visa agency, so you may be getting confused between them and a generic visa agency, which by the way has to submit your stuff thru ILS.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

I just got my visa to Russia from itseasy.com: took about 2-3 weeks and I am very pleased with them. Their web site made the most sense to me in explaining the whole process, guiding you through it, and addressing every question you might have. I also called them up, and I found them very pleasant and accurate. No telling why some people in their reviews were not completely happy with them. I can only think that that must be people who don't do a minimal amount of home work about the whole process themselves , and are just extremely anxious.

Their service is $59.00 on top of the embassy/consulate fees, but I saved money by using priority mail envelopes instead of the typical Fed Ex service, for which the consulate will charge you $30.00 for each way. So there is where you can save those fees and be almost come out "even" with the $59.00 service fee from itseasy.

I liked the idea of having a buffer and someone to talk to, if I needed to. Best of all, I could pay online via credit card, hassle free and simple, instead of having to get a money order.

Filling out the required official application form on the Russian site may seem daunting at first, but it's no big deal. You just go through it. They do warn you that it may not work on Safari ( I'm a Mac person), and itseasy says that also - but that is just not true: I was too lazy to go to someone else's computer and just did it at home on my Mac/Safari - and it all ended up just fine!

You can use their service from any city/place in the US, and they just mail the passports with visa in it back to you.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

Thanks for this info Artemisia. I would check the company you used when I apply for my own VISA.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

GotoRussia.com -- Unless things have changed, you don't have to be in the jurisdiction to use the office in another state . Their Georgia office may require an interview, but the SF/Seattle one does not (at least last time I checked). I had no problems.

Schenectady, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Visa Processing Agency for Washington DC Consulate?

If you go in person do they still keep your passport? I need a visa from Belarus also and was thinking of going to NYC and visiting both embassies, otherwise I need to mail passport to both? I am traveling September 21st not sure if the mailing is feasible.