We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of Catherine Palace

Glasgow
Level Contributor
139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of Catherine Palace

I would like to visit Catherine Palace when I go to St Petersburg in July but it looks like it would be best to have a guide and so avoid long queues.

I did contact a tour company but I thought the price was a bit too expensive $220/person.

I've been reading this forum to see if there would be a cheaper option and some seem to suggest there are booths in Nevsky Prospekt which might be better.

Could anyone advise if this would be the case and what sort of price I might expect to pay?

Many thanks

california
Level Contributor
74 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

I would recommend you pay the roughly $200 per person for a full day tour of the palace and the surrounding area. You may read my review of the trip we had with Inna of Best Guides..you will have an informative trip out, be dropped right at the gate, avoid most lines and have a personal tour of the palace - hard to see how doing it on ones won could beat that.Then you can grab a quick bite to eat and see the rest of the Tsarskoe Selo park including Alexanders palace - or if you wish you could leave about 2:30p.m. and see some other sight(s) with your driver and guide. This is the only guided tour we had during a week in St P - the Hermitage on ones own is easy (especially with their iPhone app); Peterhof by hydrofoil is pleasant, the three main churches and the canal boat tour at night can be done easily with a guide book. I did not see (in Oct) cheap tours to Catherine Palace but I suspect they would be for transportation only if they are real cheap. Getting to know our guide was a real plus!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

The OP was asking about a middle option between a DIY visit and a customized small-group tour. Our visit's in the future, but I'm interested in the same, to I did a bit of internet research. That led me to a reference to this

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298507-d301…

TA thread re two outfits having a Nevsky Prospect kiosk by Gostiny Dvor. At least one of them shows their prcing for Catherine Palace / Pushkin tours, which is more like $70 US/ adult with English-speaking guide.

Your guess is as good as mine re how large a group you wind up in after you exit the bus, i.e. how personal is the guiding.

davranovtravel.ru/en/…

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

A bit more: Eclectica http://www.eclectica-guide.ru/index.php#exs2 has mixed small-sample reviews in the reviews section of TA, but better mentions in forum postings that you can find by searching. Its posted prices are a bit lower than Davranov, OTOH its website is Russian-only (but translates via Google).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

Eclectica-guide has a section in English http://www.eclectica-guide.ru/index.php#exs4 (or at the very bottom of the page - link given by TiltedFlipCurves)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

I used eclectica for my tour to the palace. There english tours leave daily at 2pm - u simply turn ut at their booth which is on the corner of doumskaya and nevsky about 1/2 before and get your ticket. No tours on tuesday. The cost when i went was 1800 rubles. Our guide alicia was terrrific, spoke brilliant english and gave us loads of info about what we were seeing on the way. Next to the catherine palace is the alexander palace which was the home to the last Tzar and I would totally recommend visiting it. The tour to the catherine palace does not include it and you wont have enough time to do this when you are there. However its easy to get to this palace from st petersburg and you can simply buy a ticket on the spot with no need of a guided tour.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

6. Re: Tours of Catherine Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22