We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist or Guest Visa

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist or Guest Visa

I plan on visiting St. Petersburg for the first time in early June 2014. I understand I need a visa to visit Russia. I am Canadian. I have family in St. Petersburg but am trying not to be a burden on them. I understand if I stay with them that they have to invite me to come and visit. If I stay at a hotel they will do this for me. Also I need to register with the Federal Migration Service (If you’re staying for more than 7 working days you must register with the local branch of the Federal Migration Service. Most major hotels will do this automatically. If you’re staying in private accommodation the owner of the property must do this for you.)

So my options are I could stay in a hotel which seems an easier option. My family will probably insist I stay with them but if I stay with my family and they have to invite me does that raise red flags for them with the authorities. So is it possible to get a Tourist and a Guest Visa or is it better to declare only one. I take it the Federal Migration Service is a government organization. Is there only one office in St. Petersburg or are they attached to other government services?

I will contact the Russian embassy here in Canada but any insight into the process would be appreciated.

Regards, Lee Anne

Alla Tours
Sightseeing Tours
SPB Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
TJ Travel
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Insider Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist or Guest Visa

Just found this traveller's article which explains things in detail.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g294459-s602/Russia:Cr…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,618 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist or Guest Visa

> if I stay with my family and they have to invite me does that raise red flags for them with the authorities

Yes, they will put them up against the wall for that or send to Siberia at the very least.

> is it possible to get a Tourist and a Guest Visa or is it better to declare only one

No, it's not possible to apply for two visas at once.

> I take it the Federal Migration Service is a government organization.

Your insight is correct.

> Is there only one office in St. Petersburg or are they attached to other government services?

No less than a hundred I guess, and you can do the registration thing at any post office. It only applies if you stay with your family, any hotel will register you automatically.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist or Guest Visa

The hotel story is much easier to do - both with the invitation which is a headache for a Russian local to obtain - and for your registration in Russia which is automatical at a hotel and a whole story at a post office with a special form to fill in a presence of your host and line.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist or Guest Visa

Thanks Veresch, that is what I thought, I think I will opt for the hotel then. Regards, Lee Anne

5. Re: Tourist or Guest Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20