We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Petersburg or Sochi

pretoria
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St Petersburg or Sochi

We have to urgently decide on a cruise during middle May to either Sochi (Black sea) or St Petersburg (Baltic). Can anyone advise us please regarding the weather and sights which would be best?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

If you seriously hesitate between a beach resort and the capital of Russian Empire then flip a coin. Oh, wait - if the weather is the deciding factor then Black Sea is likely to be warmer (though hardly warm enough to comfortably swim in May).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Of course the weather in St.Petersburg is cooler than in Sochi at that very time but mid May is the start of White nights. It's the most romantic time in the city. Nobody sleeps. Sun and light bring a lot of fun here! People stay outdoors breathing breeze from the Baltic Sea. The city looks fresh and green! We say that St.Petersburg is the air opened museum with breathtaking architecture! So if art is your passion St.Petersburg is your city!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

They are of different kinds

I feel really comfortable and relaxing at Sochi, no hurry to visit anywhere, just staying there is enjoyable.

As a museum addict, I wish I could stay at St. Petersburg for a month. Hope to visit the city again in autumn, the most colourful season.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 10:05
St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Mid-May is still not a high season for Sochi - too cold to swim; it is only time to sea Olympic traces (if any will still remain). For St.Petersburg - it is the most beautiful time, the beginning of White Nights and foliage...

pretoria
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Thanks for your reply. We thought Sochi had more cultural activities, so we'll stick with St Petersburg.

pretoria
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Thanks everyone for you replies

pretoria
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Thanks...art is definitely our passion! St Petersburg it shall be!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Is Sochi a day trip from St. Petersburg or Moscow? I am going in August, 5 days in moscow, 5 days in St. Petersburg. I really wanted to go to Sochi for a day, if possible!

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

Possibly a day trip if you go by plane!

10. Re: St Petersburg or Sochi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:17