We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

hi, need your good help please.

we are 2 women (60) and would like to visit st. petersburg, next month (may) but we received information that it is very dangerous, cold ,rainy and very expensive.

please let us know the true !!!

thank you and sorry for my english mistakes....

bat sheva amir, israel

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

>> dangerous, cold ,rainy and very expensive

Absolutely not, maybe (compared to Elat), please see the forecast, depends on your choices of hotels and activities

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

We witness an increasing amount of Israel groups from year to year.(Ophir tour company). Nobody told me that had any fears in St.Petersburg. They say that even rain doesn't disturb them moreover their skin rests from heat.

The cost of your tour depends on hotel, cafes, transportation you choose. Book 3 -star hotel in the center. Most of the sights are in the downtown. There you will find a lot of midrange cafes. Step by step you can optimize your expenses.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

There was a lovely trip report done by an English lady travelling solo to St Petersburg a year or two back - well worth reading for reassurance.

:)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k5638…

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

The cold and rainy part may be true, if your unlucky. The rest is not.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

I travelled to SPB by myself last year (April)- absolutely no problems at all. In fact, I considered it safer than my own city (Melbourne). I'm sure there are unsafe parts but the centre of town there are always plenty of people around. Regarding the weather, I was there for 6 days and maybe 2 days there was rain, but it didn't last long. I also didn't think it was expensive but I guess it's all relative. And I certainly wouldn't describe the people as rude - I hope the SPB people on here aren't offended, but I found it a little like Paris. Some people, if they realise you don't speak Russian, will ignore you. Others, if they can see that you're making an effort (I have basic Russian) they will be friendly.

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

Thank you Halwimsey for those kind words. I am the English lady who wrote the report you refer to. I completely agree with Simone, it is perfectly safe and I felt a lot safer than I do in London. The rain didn't last long whilst I was there and the people were, on the whole, very friendly. I don't speak any Russian apart from please and thank you but you will find the young people usually want to practise their English, most menus were in both languages and sign language and a smile works wonders. It's a marvellous city and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

7. Re: woman traveling alone in st. petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:15