We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariinsky in July?

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
578 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Mariinsky in July?

Hello,

I am looking at the playbill for the Mariinsky and there are no dates for ballet performances for June or July listed. Have the dates just not been posted yet or are there no performances between May and August? This seems odd since it would be high-season for tourists?

Thank you!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariinsky in July?

Usually Mariinsky hosts "Stars of the White nights" festival during June-July, the festival program is always filled with great performances and world-famous musicians, dancers, singers and conductors. Thus it's not easy to put together the playbill, so the theater will post the playbill a bit later mariinsky.ru/en/…wnf_231

>>This seems odd since it would be high-season for tourists?

we have 3-4-5 ballet companies that perform almost only during the high-tourist season so Mariinsky can perform for the real ballet and opera lovers :)

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
578 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariinsky in July?

Thank you very much Svetakoshka. I spent so much time on the website and did not find that festival. Thank you for the information and have a nice day!

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
578 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariinsky in July?

A follow-up question for you Svetakoshka. Our possible dates to attend a ballet would be July 24th or 25th. We could see one Giselle at the Mariinsky festival or we could go to Romeo and Juliet at the Mikhailovsky. I am a former dancer and attending Russian the ballet will be a dream come true. What would you choose between these two?

Also, I read a long post about the best seats but I am still a bit lost. If price isn't a factor (this is a bucket list item for me after all!) what seats should I select?

Thank you again for your help and expertise : )

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariinsky in July?

Hi Kristy,

>>Giselle at the Mariinsky festival or we could go to Romeo and Juliet at the Mikhailovsky.

I haven't seen Rome&Juliet at Mikhailovsky but Giselle at Mariinsky is my favorite! so I'd go for Giselle :)

>>the best seats

at which theater?

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
578 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariinsky in July?

If we are going to Mariinsky for Gisele where should we sit?

Thanks again!

california
Level Contributor
75 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariinsky in July?

Agree with the Marinsky - what a beautiful theater and a wonderful experience..champagne at intermission is an added bonus. We got on line the day the seats were opened up and the most expensive seats (under Tsars box) worked out very well. I would avoid the side boxes but the theater is not that large - great sight lines and acoustics. No photos during the performance but lots before and after. The new theater blends well with the old-be sure to see them in daytime. We walked a very short distance from our hotel (see my review).ENJOY

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
578 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariinsky in July?

Thanks! I bought tickets for the Mariinsky. 1st row of the Belle Etage.

I am definitely looking forward to the performance and to seeing the new theatre which was designed by a Canadian architect :)

Orange County
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariinsky in July?

We will be onboard the Seabourn Quest in St Petersburg July 8-10 and have purchased tickets for Mariinsky ballet performance of July 9 (purchased online at Mariinsky Theatre official website) We have booked visa-free roundtrip ship/theatre transfer with a legitimate company that routinely provides such transportation but are looking to share the transfer to reduce the per person cost. For 2-4 passengers the cost is $150.00 total. If interested, please reply and thank you

9. Re: Mariinsky in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 07:16