We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe travel alone??

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Safe travel alone??

Hi,

I plane to visit SPB this end of the May and hope to stay in one month. I have heard, many people not talk English and specially difficult to communicate in when we go to special areas.(Eg. train station) is it true??

SPB is it safety to travel alone day and night time?

Can u recommend to stay cheap pleas in SPB?

Andrea

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe travel alone??

Many people really not speak English. Hotel personnel and cafe/restaurant personnel might speak English, or have English menu. Safe day and night, alone or not. Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe travel alone??

It's all good Andrea. I travelled to St Petersburg and Moscow last year by myself and had no problems. I imagine like most major cities there are parts that are more dangerous, but if you exercise the usual precautions you will be fine. I think it is a good idea to at least learn the Cyrillic alphabet so that you can read signs on the metro. I have basic Russian so I can ask for train tickets, ask directions, order food and drink etc. Many restaurants have the menu in English or pictures of the food, especially in the centre of the cities.

June is a peak month for tourism in St Petersburg so it's difficult to find a cheap place to stay, but maybe one of the Russian people on the forum can help you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe travel alone??

St. Petersburg is a touristic city, so the natives are used to lots of foreign tourists, so there should be basic understanding of English. In terms of safety - just apply common sense rules

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
412 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe travel alone??

The cheapest accommodation is of course hostels, NordHostel is pleasant & very central.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe travel alone??

Don't worry, you're not the first tourist who comes to SPb on his/her own not knowing Russian language and gets by just fine!

if you type a word "solo" in a search box just above your original message you'll see lot's of helpful info. You might also do the same at Moscow forum www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums…

>>SPB is it safety to travel alone day and night time?

you'll be over here in June and that means lots of tourists and the white nights (long day light hours). If you stay out of the city outskirts you'll be just fine using common sense as others suggested

>>Can u recommend to stay cheap pleas in SPB?

+1 to hostels. Use web-sites like booking.com or smth like that and do it quick - for June you're might be already a bit late for cheap places...

To make it easier to communicate with locals get yourself familiar with Cyrillic alphabet. For buying train tickets or smth you can always write down your destination point on a piece of paper and show it at the ticket office. And btw all metro signs in SPb are in both Rus. and English :)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe travel alone??

Highly appreciate your answers.

Andrea

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe travel alone??

St Petersburg is probably the most educated city in the world, and most people speak, at least some, foreign language. If in doubt, ask a teen or early twenties stranger for assistance, the chances are very good they will speak enough English to help.

There are thousands of street signs or in the metro subway system in Cyrillic and English Latin characters so that is not a problem either.

4,000,000 foreign visitors come each year and few use a guide or interpreter.

Cheap housing. The cheapest is CouchSurfing where there are many members located here. Hostels in the summer can get up to the price of an apartment but might be better for a solo traveler because of the social nature of hostels. If two or more are traveling together, renting an apartment is the best deal....larger, more private, allows you to save money by cooking at "home" if you wish and often are located in desirable areas.

Mini-hotels are not such a bargain in the summer, although they should be since they have so few services.

Safety is relative but it is not like most world cities which are divided into "safe" and "bad neighborhood". Most residents own their home free and clear so they have stability and are connected to their community. Any apartment building has a mix of social and economic classes so it would be really hard to pin-point any area as a bad neighborhood. There is no neighborhood I would feel apprehensive about walking through late at night but back home in the US, any city has definite good and bad neighborhoods where visitors would be warned strongly not to venture into.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe travel alone??

Hello Stanj

We're a senior couple, will arrive to St. Petersburg on Thrusday, June 19/2014 on a cruise. Wold like to know how to have a Hop on Hop off at that city and if it's possible to visit the Hermitage and how to enjoy the wonderful St. Petersburg.

Thanks in advance for your help, my electronic address is "physicist25@gmail.com".

Luis Rolando Schmidt

9. Re: Safe travel alone??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18