We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
254 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Hello...

Just getting transportation squared away for my wife and I for our trip to StP. We will be heading on to Tallinn after spending 5 nights in StP. We are wondering what the best way to get there would be... train or bus? I see (via Russia Railways) there is a 6:55am train on the day we want to transit between the two cities. I'm thinking this is the best option. Would others agree? Also... is Russia Railways a good website to buy our tickets in advance?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Hi - I'm about to do the same trip as you and chose the bus over the train. Why? There are more services each day and it only cost about 25 euro (Lux Express). Tickets were purchased online. 99.9% of the advice I had on this issue was to choose the bus over the train.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

if you use TA search you'll see this question was asked/answered many times. Probably the only problem with traveling by bus is it might take long time to cross the border (passport control etc) so in this respect a train is more convenient.

>>is Russia Railways a good website to buy our tickets in advance?

it's a first-hand meaning no price mark-up. BUT you might have a problem paying for your tickets with American-issued credit/debit card. The issue's been covered number of times, please use search and also see Moscow TopQuestions tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298484-c179997/Mosco…

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
254 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Svetakoshka... Thank you for your reply. :)

Border crossing sounds easier on the train... so I think we might stick to the train.

Yeah... a US credit card will be an issue for me. I like to have everything planned ahead of time... so I would rather not be buying them when we get to StP. Is it possible to buy them from the Estonia website...

http://www.gorail.ee/en/booking-en

If not... can you recommend a website that would be a "go between". Even though it may cost a bit more... I'd like to have the "peace of mind" by having the tickets before we head out on vacation.

Thanks!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

drkoz23,

>>I like to have everything planned ahead of time

sales for long distance trains starts 45 days before your traveling date. According to the new "progressive" rule the price goes up the closer to the departure date you buy (just as with the airplane tickets)

>>Is it possible to buy them from the Estonia website...http://www.gorail.ee/en/booking-en

give it a try and you would know :) (looks possible to me) Also, check Estonia TA forum for more info tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g274952-i995-Eston… I took a quick look there and didn't see any mentioning of any problem with American cc/dc

>> can you recommend a website that would be a "go between"

there were some mentioned before - I'll try to look it up tomorrow (unless somebody chips in)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

>> can you recommend a website that would be a "go between"

pls read post 3 (2d and 3d paragraph) over here tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k74676…

Washington DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

We took the LuxExpress bus from Tallinn to St. Petersburg about a week ago. The bus is new, with individual tv screens and wifi connections for each passenger. We purchased the tickets with an American credit card, online, and had no problems. The border crossing was also not a problem. It took a little while (we sat on the bus at the Tallinn side and had to get out of the bus on the Russian side), but otherwise was not a problem. The ride is scenic. I enjoyed looking at the countryside and small towns in both countries. I have been told that the trains on this route are older and no faster, so the bus is the way to go.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
254 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Thanks webtrav. The train doesn't run on the morning we are heading from StP to Tallinn... so the LuxExpress bus is looking like the best option.

I am wondering... does it matter which station we depart StP? Baltic or Main Coach station? We are staying at the Grand Hotel Europe.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

More people get on at Baltic but it doesn't matter either way. Both are also near a metro station. At the main station security is high and you will need to put your bags through an x-ray machine, similar to the airport. The bus driver I had didn't speak English but the whole thing was straight forward enough in terms of showing tickets and going through border control at Narva.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Is it easy to fond the correct coach for someone (me) who doesn't speak or read Russian? Also, how long before the coach departure time would you advise to be at the coach station?

Cheers DL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Way from StP to Tallinn...

Yes - the main bus station is about 5 minutes walk from a metro station called Obvodnyi Kanal. Go to a tourist information office and ask them to mark it on the map for you - the bus and metro station. I arrived about 1/2 hour before the bus left but it didn't actually get to the bay until about 10 minutes before the departure time. I used Lux Express and their buses are pretty distinctive. There is a departures board which indicates which bay the buses are leaving from. I bought my tickets online before leaving Australia and just showed them to the driver. You can buy them at the bus station though, but be prepared for no one to speak English, so know exactly what service you want and where you're going.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 13:11