We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariinsky Theater II Seating

CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi,

We are trying to select the seats for the Mariinsky Theater II for Le Corsaire ballet. Any suggestions where to seat for best views? We are looking at the middle front section (not the most expensive one)?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Have a look at Stalls (Middle) or Stalls Boxes (Middle), Row 1 or 2. The latter is less expensive.

CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Thank you very much!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
253 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi there,

My wife and I shall be visiting SPB on Jun 20-22 taking advantage of the 48-hours visa free program for cruise passengers. We have never seen ballet before and think there is no better place in the world to see it than SPB :-). We hope to see the show as well as experiencing the atmosphere of the beautiful theatre itself.

We are very interested in Mariinsky's program on Jun 20 - A Mid-Summer Night Dream but all the tickets were sold out as shown in its official website. Tickets are available on 21st - Anna Karenina but the show is at Mariinsky II which seems to be a smaller theatre.

Wonder if there is any other channel that we can buy 2 tickets on Jun 20. Alternatively, please can you recommend another good theatre with a great ballet performance on Jun 21? We have to leave SPB on Jun 22, hence our window of opportunity is either Jun 20 or 21.

Many thanks!!!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

>>Wonder if there is any other channel that we can buy 2 tickets on Jun 20.

you can try ticket selling agencies like www.bileter.ru or www.kassir.ru or www.maximilian.ru Or when you arrive to SPb you can try to stop by any ticket selling office in the city. Another option to come to the theater on the night of the performance and ask at the ticket office if they have any tickets left (they may have tickets on-hold for special people and if nobody claims them they will sell it to general public)

>>another good theatre with a great ballet performance on Jun 21?

Mikhailovsky theater, June 21, ballet Don Quixote www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/afisha/performances

>>Mariinsky II which seems to be a smaller theatre.

it's new modern hall and if you'd like to experience atmosphere of a "good old classical theater" you wouldn't find it there. Go for either Mariinsky (old original building) or Mikhailovsky theater

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
253 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi Svetakoshka, thank you so very much for your insights. They are very helpful indeed!! Jun 21 is a better date for us going to the theater. Please can you give us your comments on "Swan Lake" at Alexandrinsky? How would this compare with Don Quixote at Mikhailovsky - for a first timer in ballet? If we are going for Swan Lake, which is the best way for us to buy tickets?

Much appreciated!!

CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi, I saw Swan Lake at Mikhailosky theater for August 6, 2014 available at the Ballet and Opera and other website but not able to find it on the official website? Is that possible? The whole month of August is not available on the official website.

We were looking at Le Corsaire at Mariinsky 2 but wanted a more traditional theater for August 6. Any suggestions?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

@chc9533

>> "Swan Lake" at Alexandrinsky?

Alexandrinsky theater is a drama theater. Some touristy (better or worse) ballet co's perform on its stage in a summer. What ballet company is dancing on the night you'd like to go? If you can't find it, Jacobson's ballet and Tachkin's ballet would be relatively good. Others like "Russian ballet" etc - I wouldn't go.

On the other hand, if you've never ever seen a ballet before, going for "Swan lake" performed by anybody might be better than going for "Don Quixote"...

>> If we are going for Swan Lake, which is the best way for us to buy tickets?

either via those ticket selling agencies I've mentioned above or through dancing company web-site (some of them do have this option but it seems often doesn't work). Alexandrinsky web-site doesn't sell tickets for these performances (at least they never did in the past)...

@ brigdo

>>Swan Lake at Mikhailosky theater for August 6, 2014 available at the Ballet and Opera and other website but not able to find it on the official website? Is that possible? The whole month of August is not available on the official website.

the theater is on vacation in August so some other dancing companies perform on its stage. If it's Jacobson's ballet or Tachkin's ballet - I'd go, if anything else - I wouldn't

CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi Elena,

Middle Stall row 11 or Stall box row 1? Is one better than the other? Thank you

NY
Level Contributor
76 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Interestingly, I just looked online for tickets in mid-July and was shocked at the number of good seats available. It seemed almost too good to be true -- loads of front "orchestra" (Stalls Middle Row 6, I booked) in what I would think would be peak season. I almost thought I went to the wrong Web site.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
253 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mariinsky Theater II Seating

Hi Svetakoshka,

We just came from Swan Lake ballet in Alexandrinsky theater. It was performed by Tachkins. We are first timers and really couldn't offer any useful comments. However, we could only say that my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the ballet. The show was 2.5 hours and we enjoyed every minute of it. We are so glad that we took the time to do this in SPB.

We would like to sincerely thank you for your advices and insights.